Coming out of the closet

Pioneer Mike

Registered
4 Jan 2015
San Jose, California
Best answers
I have been lurking in the background for probably a couple years, thoroughly enjoying the conversations. I thought it was time to rear my head. My garden railroad was laid down in San Jose, CA in about 1986 when my son was 11 months old. After a few years the squirrels and elements buried the track. I resurrected it about a year ago after I retired the second time, and laid it out on the concrete apron just beyond the patio, much to SHMBO (did I get that right?) 's chagrin. Numerous heavy wheelbarrow loads of cement rolling over it did not do any damage but my daughter's puppy has been a challenge. LGB track lives up to it's promise.

I look forward to the email links on Saturday mornings with great relish, and love following the comments of ya'll.

Please keep in mind: Speeding Kills Bears! The sign is posted in numerous places in Yosemite National Park, just up the road a bit.

Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
SHMBO (did I get that right?)

Hi Mike

Welcome. SWMBO - She Who Must Be Obeyed, a phrase popularised in the UK by the character Horace Rumpole in a UK TV series 'Rumpole of the Bailey' about the adventures and misadventures of a Barrister, Bailey being The Old Bailey, the Central Criminal Court, London. The origin of the phrase is found in the H. Rider Haggard novel, subsequently made into a film, 'She'

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have been lurking in the background for probably a couple years, thoroughly enjoying the conversations. I thought it was time to rear my head. My garden railroad was laid down in San Jose, CA in about 1986 when my son was 11 months old. After a few years the squirrels and elements buried the track. I resurrected it about a year ago after I retired the second time, and laid it out on the concrete apron just beyond the patio, much to SHMBO (did I get that right?) 's chagrin. Numerous heavy wheelbarrow loads of cement rolling over it did not do any damage but my daughter's puppy has been a challenge. LGB track lives up to it's promise.

I look forward to the email links on Saturday mornings with great relish, and love following the comments of ya'll.

Please keep in mind: Speeding Kills Bears! The sign is posted in numerous places in Yosemite National Park, just up the road a bit.
OK if I speed here in the UK? - we don't have too many bears :p:p:p

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Welcome, Mike - speeding not only kills bears, but also destroys your car. Nearly hit a moose once - gave me one hell of a fright.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome, Mike - speeding not only kills bears, but also destroys your car. Nearly hit a moose once - gave me one hell of a fright.
Yeah, over here if you hit a deer it'll do a fair amount damage - same as a moose - over in Canada you can buy T-shirts with John Moose tractor logos :D:D:D

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Mike. You're a lucky fellow, with Yosemite NP up the road a bit. Or is that an American euphemism for it's only a few hundred miles away!

Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Mike, to me (whilst it is beautiful, and wondrous) Yosemite, means the Sugar Pine Railroad, and those superb chime whistles reverberating round the hillside! A sound to die for! :h::h: Good train ride too! :D

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
My brain must be getting dulled with age. I keep seeing images of Yogi and Boo-Boo. Welcome to the forum - look forward to some piccies soon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
Two years.. Just about enough time to work out what we mean in our 'shared language' then!
;)

? Is that the park Yogi and Bobo come from ?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Given all the berserk responses we've come up with - in other words normality for this forum - it wouldn't surprise me if Pioneer Mike were to run back to the closet pretty quickly :emo::emo::emo:

Not to worry, sir, this is an OK place >:)>:)>:)

Pioneer Mike

Registered
4 Jan 2015
San Jose, California
Best answers
Ahhhhh. Thank you for the clarification on SWMBO, David. Good old YouTube: I said coming oh Master of the blue horizons, swmbo...

And yes Idlemarvel, Yosemite is about 3.5 hours from my abode. I have not been to Sugar Pine railroad yet. It is at the south entrance to Yosemite, a bit further to drive. But Jamestown is right on the way, and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park has some choice prototypes. And Roaring Camp in Felton has a narrow gauge logging ride that winds its way up a steep grade through the redwoods. It is about half hour away on the road to Santa Cruz. I will have to head for Sugar Pine soon!

Thank you all for the welcome!

mike

Attachments

• Steam_No3.JPG
    Steam_No3.JPG
    176.7 KB · Views: 0

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
SHMBO.....why did I just duck then?

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
My brain must be getting dulled with age. I keep seeing images of Yogi and Boo-Boo. Welcome to the forum - look forward to some piccies soon.
You're thinking of Yellowstone or Jellystone as Hanna-Barrera would have it.
Yellowstone is also beautiful and wondrous - just been on vacation there. No railroads anywhere near but another kind of beauty.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Mike and welcome to

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, Mike, hope you enjoy being able to join in the general banter and insanity now rather than just reading about it..... ;)

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Mike....

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Ahhhhh. Thank you for the clarification on SWMBO, David. Good old YouTube: I said coming oh Master of the blue horizons, swmbo...

And yes Idlemarvel, Yosemite is about 3.5 hours from my abode. I have not been to Sugar Pine railroad yet. It is at the south entrance to Yosemite, a bit further to drive. But Jamestown is right on the way, and Railtown 1897 State Historic Park has some choice prototypes. And Roaring Camp in Felton has a narrow gauge logging ride that winds its way up a steep grade through the redwoods. It is about half hour away on the road to Santa Cruz. I will have to head for Sugar Pine soon!

Thank you all for the welcome!

mike
Been on Roaring Camp as well. Their whistles are just as good" :giggle::giggle:

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome from the............er.............. independent state of not so United Kingdom...........I think :think: