Coaling up.....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Having fitted the new TL45 Pfiffi with her crew this morning (see my thread in the "figures and accessories" section), it was time to fill the coal bunker..... Trainline do supply a bag of crushed real coal (at least I assume it is real, it leaves black coal-y marks everywhere!) but the lumps are still WAY oversized for G scale - they might look OK if I ever do anything in 7/8ths scale! Rather than try to crush it down smaller, I simply used some of the fake coal "vase filler" from Dunelm that I mentioned finding a year or so back, which as you can see is perfectly sized for G scale loco coal.

Dunelm coal2.JPG

First picture of the operation is lining the bunker with a double thickness of clingfilm, then a thick piece of black plasticard (actually two laminations of 2mm sheet) is laid loosely in the bottom of the bunker. This helps to press the clingfilm into the corners and will give the finished "coal load" piece a bit of overall strength.

Pfiffi bunker1.jpeg

Then the bunker is filled with a suitable amount of the vase filler "coal".....

Pfiffi bunker2.jpeg

Then, with the aid of glass pipette, a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water is dripped all over the coal, and gently worked in with the end of a coffee stirrer until I was reasonably sure the glue had settled throughout the coal load. Now the waiting part, I'm not going to disturb it for several days.... More pics to follow when it is all dried and I can remove the clingfilm!

Pfiffi bunker3.jpeg

While I had the PVA mixed, I decided to do the same for the bunkers on both my TL45 Mallets (5901 and 5902) - these are a bit easier than Pfiffi as the Mallet bunkers unscrew and can therefore be done off the locos; the Pfiffi bunker has no visible screws, it may simply be clipped in place but I didn't want to apply too much force to try to shift it, so that one was done in-situ.
Here are the two Mallet bunkers filled in the same way, again I will do some more pics when they are dry and replaced on the locos.

Mallet bunkers.jpeg

Jon.

Reactions: 2 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
"The Morning After..."
This morning all the coal loads are well on the way to drying, pretty much all traces of the white PVA mix have disappeared (hardened and turned clear) but I'm still going to leave them at least another 24-48 hours to ensure that all the stuff below the surface has properly dried before I start trying to handle them and remove the clingfilm. The "coal" on the surface is touch-dry now and seems to be well stuck together, so fingers crossed for a successful outcome!
This is how they all look today......

Pfiffi coal dried.jpeg

Mallet coal dried.jpeg

Jon.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
MMmmm interesting idea - I've only ever done 'permanent' coal :mm::mm:

WillemD

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Belgium
Best answers
Coming along nicely, Jon!

I've used the same method multiple times in the past to fill up some ballast hoppers (with a piece of styrofoam cut to size used as a base to glue the stones to).

a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water is dripped all over the coal, and gently worked in with the end of a coffee stirrer until I was reasonably sure the glue had settled throughout the coal load.
I do it slightly different for my (removable) wagon loads. I prepare the mixture in a plastic food container, and then throw the stones in there. Then I mix it up in the container, and I finally place them in the desired location. I noticed that the bottom layers are a bit stronger this way, especially if the mixture is a bit thicker.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
MMmmm interesting idea - I've only ever done 'permanent' coal :mm::mm:

The idea really comes from the LGB/Aster Mallet - that has a separate lift-out coal "block" made from a strip of wood with artificial coal glued on to it, very much like I'm making here.

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Coming along nicely, Jon!

I've used the same method multiple times in the past to fill up some ballast hoppers (with a piece of styrofoam cut to size used as a base to glue the stones to).
I do it slightly different for my (removable) wagon loads. I prepare the mixture in a plastic food container, and then throw the stones in there. Then I mix it up in the container, and I finally place them in the desired location. I noticed that the bottom layers are a bit stronger this way, especially if the mixture is a bit thicker.

Yes, Willem, I'm going to be doing some wagon loads too in the near future - both for the LGB hoppers and open wagons; the black "vase filler" that I've used for the coal also comes in an ivory-white shade which will do very well for crushed stone loads, and it's very much lighter than "real" stone chippings. When I get round to them, I will probably use your idea of pre-mixing the PVA and the stones and then pouring the whole mix into the clingfilm-lined wagon on top of a styrofoam spacer block.
I think Gizzy has also made some wagon loads this way, using (if I remember correctly) kitty-litter for the stones....?

Jon.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think Gizzy has also made some wagon loads this way, using (if I remember correctly) kitty-litter for the stones....?

Jon.
Me? Ow!

Yes, I did use the same method using kitty litty in my OEG hopper wagons. Line the hopper with clingy filmy and pour a mix of kit lit, and dilute PVA. Leave to set until solid....

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
After a few days of drying....
A quick (and not very good, sorry!) pic of the finished coal load in Pfiffi's bunker.... very pleased with the result! :)
Pfiffi coal finished.jpeg

Jon

Reactions: 1 users