Coaling Tower at Chama

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
This may not be the proper forum to ask this question. I ask for your indulgence. I'm a descent model builder I know nothing about all of this computer stuff. Even less about how to use this forum properly. My question. I am going to build a model of the Coaling Tower at Chama. I am putting together the various pieces. I am looking to purchase the hoisting apparatus. The sheaves the pulleys. Is there anywhere I can purchase these parts. I appreciate all your help. Thanks. Gramps 77

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Gramps77, I have moved this post to a nice new thread for you. I hope some of out posters will be able to help.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Ozark Minatures. They made a laser cut kit of the Chama coaling tower not so long ago. I tried to get one without success. They do a wide range of fittings in their range. Perhaps some of those used on the Chama kit are available to order. Have a word with them. They offered both 1:20.3 and 1:24 versions. Max

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
Ozark Minatures. They made a laser cut kit of the Chama coaling tower not so long ago. I tried to get one without success. They do a wide range of fittings in their range. Perhaps some of those used on the Chama kit are available to order. Have a word with them. They offered both 1:20.3 and 1:24 versions. Max

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
Thank you for the advice. I will give them a try. Gramps 77

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Other than what has been suggested may be
www.walthers.com, www.precisionscaleco.com. As you can see from mine I hid the detail inside the tower, outside it's hard to do details that are complicated just do to the environment, leafs, rain, birds, squirrels, etc. Just finished a sawmill and went way to over board on it, probably be a lot of cleaning. I know the tower that Pola did of the Chama one is over powering and dwarfs everything else on the ground, good luck with your build, Bill‎

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
Other than what has been suggested may be
www.walthers.com, www.precisionscaleco.com. As you can see from mine I hid the detail inside the tower, outside it's hard to do details that are complicated just do to the environment, leafs, rain, birds, squirrels, etc. Just finished a sawmill and went way to over board on it, probably be a lot of cleaning. I know the tower that Pola did of the Chama one is over powering and dwarfs everything else on the ground, good luck with your build, Bill‎
Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it.

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
Thank you for your help. I do appreciate it.
I have purchased the plans for the coaling tower from Brewer Railroad Plans. I was looking for some clarification on the coal pit. The plans have a pit plan but no elevations. The plans in the N.G.& S.L.G. by W. J. Ewell have a pit plan and a cross section but no measurements but they can be scaled out. An article in Model Railroader Mar. 1960 by Len Madsen has elevations plus measurements. The measurements on all three drawings are different. Is there a common denominator. I read somewhere that one modeler had the plans from the R.G.S. railroad. I don't know if they are available at all. Never followed up on it. I need your help in solving this problem. Thanks. I anxiously await your replies.

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
Concerning the Chama Coaling Tower. Hopefully someone will be able to answer my question. How do the cables that operate the coal buckets penetrate the wall of the shed that house the machinery that operates the coal bucket? It is not shown on the plans I have nor on any pictures I've seen. Thank you. Gramps 77.

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the coaling station that I built : (If I understood well , it is close to what you are doing)

P1160009.jpg

here is the rear side

P1160041 - Copie.JPG

The "housing" where the hoist is installed is just above the bucket space where it goes up and down
So I have no pulley just a winch. The rope is directly connected to the bucket.

Reactions: 6 users

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
Here is the coaling station that I built : (If I understood well , it is close to what you are doing)

View attachment 242094

here is the rear side

View attachment 242096

The "housing" where the hoist is installed is just above the bucket space where it goes up and down
So I have no pulley just a winch. The rope is directly connected to the bucket.

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
Thank you for your reply to my question. Very nice work on your model. Very precise. Like it very much. Gramps 77

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
That is one piece of magnificent engineering !

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
[/QUOTE Nice piece of work. I don't know to much about construction operating models. Would love to learn. What kind of motor did you use? What about reverse? I await your reply.

ARIA31

Registered
3 Oct 2017
Toulouse - France
Best answers
Country flag
I used a playmobil actuation set ( 15 euros) part number 5556 apparently still on the market.

The hoist consists of a totally home made winch and a Playmobil electrical actuation set selected for several reasons:
- actuator delivered with its control box avoiding to design one control circuit and integration into a box
- actuator fitted with an end stroke torque limiter avoiding breakage risk
- quite acceptable torque. This hoist lifts 200 grams at hook level

The winch is made of wood.
The 2 side uprights are bored together at a wood rod diameter dimension creating the winch drum.
The shaft axis is thus properly done.

The liaison with the actuator is made with a small plastic tube providing an additional torque limitation

P1150903.jpg

P1150544.jpg

as installed in the housing at the crane top

P1150602.jpg

My first design was to create the big hole in the hoist plate as I believed the rope should be able to move freely. It is wrong , it is better to have a small hole to guide the rope in the right place in the midle to move the bucket.

Reactions: 1 user

Gramps 77

Registered
19 Jun 2018
Pa.
Best answers
I used a playmobil actuation set ( 15 euros) part number 5556 apparently still on the market.

The hoist consists of a totally home made winch and a Playmobil electrical actuation set selected for several reasons:
- actuator delivered with its control box avoiding to design one control circuit and integration into a box
- actuator fitted with an end stroke torque limiter avoiding breakage risk
- quite acceptable torque. This hoist lifts 200 grams at hook level

The winch is made of wood.
The 2 side uprights are bored together at a wood rod diameter dimension creating the winch drum.
The shaft axis is thus properly done.

The liaison with the actuator is made with a small plastic tube providing an additional torque limitation

View attachment 242127

View attachment 242128

as installed in the housing at the crane top

View attachment 242129

My first design was to create the big hole in the hoist plate as I believed the rope should be able to move freely. It is wrong , it is better to have a small hole to guide the rope in the right place in the midle to move the bucket.