Coal Firing at Jackson's Miniatures

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Hi folks
Yesterday I visited Steve Jackson to see him take delivery of his new, coal fired "George Lawley" loco which has been built as a one-off by Paul Bailey of DJB Engineering. Paul delivered it in person, as he was on holiday in the area, and Tag was there with his locos to witness its incredibly smooth first run.
In the photos, you can see "GL" together with Steve's DJB Edrig, Tag's DJB Edrig and his much modified DJB Ragleth. This Ragleth, incidentally, looks even better in the 'flesh' than it does in the photos!
Cheers
Chris
2420a724e2bf405ea1ff97bdd5b6f4a3.jpg
aa212996376f415099033106c16e3016.jpg
f58400a980f3496db5eed62429c2464b.jpg
44cacad0dc914227bceb2156cd82a74a.jpg
e100b80731da4dc38d4a4fd3373308b6.jpg

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Beauties one and all :admire::admire::admire: coal firing is something I aspire to, but I barely have time to run my gas fired loco's these days.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for posting those pictures, Chris. 'GL' really is a lovely loco and Paul made a splendid job of it. I reckon that it's the easiest to fire of my, now 3, coal fired locos. The big boiler, firebox and side tanks allow it to run with less attention needed than the others - especially the 'Annette' !
I've been asked about the name 'George Lawley'. It's quite logical really. I wonder if anyone can guess why the loco has that name?
Just for a bit of fun, the first person to come up with the correct answer wins a 'Jackson's Miniatures' lineside building kit.
Steve

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
400Parker said:
Thanks for posting those pictures, Chris. 'GL' really is a lovely loco and Paul made a splendid job of it. I reckon that it's the easiest to fire of my, now 3, coal fired locos. The big boiler, firebox and side tanks allow it to run with less attention needed than the others - especially the 'Annette' !
I've been asked about the name 'George Lawley'. It's quite logical really. I wonder if anyone can guess why the loco has that name?
Just for a bit of fun, the first person to come up with the correct answer wins a 'Jackson's Miniatures' lineside building kit.
Steve

was george your fathers name by any chance?????.:D

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
'Fraid not, Allan.
Just so that it's not too hard (after all it's meant to be for fun) it's something logical about the loco. It's not something specific or personal to me. There's no limit on the number of tries, by the way, so guess away!
Steve

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
No.
I refer the honourable member to my previous answer.
:)

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice locomotive!
Roundhouse 'George', Accucraft 'Lawley' parts involved in the build?

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
No Tim, but you're along the right lines.

nicebutdim

Registered
14 Dec 2009
Sunny Surrey (Ha)
Best answers
Country flag
Post edited above, is that any closer? :D

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
No, 'fraid not. You were along the right lines, but not that close!

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Give the man a coconut! Well, a lineside building kit. Well done Richard! Send me a PM with your address and I'll put the building in the post to you.
George - from the body, Lawley - from the chassis.
The George body was modified because I wanted the loco to have an open back like on my Sabre Steam 'Annette'. That presented a problem because the back wasn't rigid enough to be free standing. We got round the problem by adding doors, inspired by Tom Beattie's (Locoworks) doors for the Silver Lady.
The body had to be moved back a bit because of a problem with the boiler but I think the end result is a very attractive loco, which runs extremely well and, frankly, exceeds my expectations. Paul Bailey did a superb job and I'm glad to say he's pleased with the end result as well.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
What can I say Chris? Excellent bit of filming. Thank you.
And two excellent DJB locos.
Steve

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
LlongfordRailway said:
Great video. It's a shame you didn't post it before, I could have won myself a building kit!
Ah, but I was under strict instruction not to give the game away :D
Cheers
Chris

Mossala Hill

Registered
5 Jul 2011
Liverpool
Best answers
Is that a "pop" safety valve on George Lawley? If so, I want one! is it from DJB?

Thanks,

Rob

hussra

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
400Parker said:
Give the man a coconut! Well, a lineside building kit. Well done Richard! Send me a PM with your address and I'll put the building in the post to you.
Prize arrived today - very many thanks! The loco does look great, I have to say.