Coal Fired G scale and 16mm Locos on Ebay.

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Hi Group,
Check out COAL FIRED on Ebay [locomotives], it looks like the gentleman who may have taken over Sabre Steam is in business. All Buy Now prices.

John.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Looks interesting. So who are Eden House Engineering ? Tried Googling various permutations and no web site found. Backed by the West Mid(land)s Chamber - of what ? Any advances on the first suggestion of origin ? Invites buyers to go look see, anybody want to venture a trip and report back ?
Max.
P.S. Did you see what else a search on Ebay under Coal Fired Locomotive showed up - would you be willing to put your money down under those conditions ?

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
They look *VERY* familiar.

Listings (300606356891 and 300606367111) say "pneumatically tested on compressed air on a purpose built rig". Personally I would be more reassured if the listing said "loco has been run under its own steam using coal on a track hauling a train".

http://www.rhoshelyg.me.uk/Sabre.html

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
This looks like a straightforward reissue of Sabre under a vaguely different name, and I for one would not touch it with the proverbial barge pole. If the man wishes to demonstrate his expertise to me, and I now know the questions to ask, then I will let him, providing that he does not mind the responses being in Garden Rail, 16mm Today, and herein.

Otherwise, I'm afraid that , in the vernacular, he will have to take a long run off a short pier...

Tim

steamtom1

Live Steam
26 Oct 2009
mssls.info
Best answers
If anyone wants a real good one, at a dynamite price, reworked and repainted by the Master, Mr. Bob Weltyk, see this video...
http://www.youtube.com/user/thumper12225#p/a/u/0/yrnFlsYShrE < Link To http://www.youtube.com/us...25#p/a/u/0/yrnFlsYShrE
and go to this link...
http://www.mylargescale.com/Shopping/Classifieds/tabid/61/agentType/View/PropertyID/1200/Default < Link To http://www.mylargescale.c...tyID/1200/Default

P1070466.JPG

P1070463.JPG

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I'm sure the second one is a cut down Caradoc body? Looks quite nice actually, but if so I'm not sure that's viable for series production.

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
The one on the left is a Simply 7/8 body on a Roundhouse chassis- that on the right is a "David", for which Rob had the body, unmade. I believe that this was again from Simply 7/8.

I have a kit from Simply 7/8, to 16mm scale, for the Ragleth. One does not need the floor, which makes the kit £150. I built it in a day, using a gas torch, which makes soldering child's play. Now I'm waiting for Paul to make the boiler and associated bits. The theory is that I should have a coal fired loco for £1375, and about 3 days' work. Cogleth, anyone?

Tim

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
Drummond said:
The one on the left is a Simply 7/8 body on a Roundhouse chassis- that on the right is a "David", for which Rob had the body, unmade. I believe that this was again from Simply 7/8.

I have a kit from Simply 7/8, to 16mm scale, for the Ragleth. One does not need the floor, which makes the kit £150. I built it in a day, using a gas torch, which makes soldering child's play. Now I'm waiting for Paul to make the boiler and associated bits. The theory is that I should have a coal fired loco for £1375, and about 3 days' work. Cogleth, anyone?

Tim

Brilliant value for money. I have just picked up a Ragleth (coal of course) and it is currently apart for a few enhancements. This system does work very well (as per my Edrig) and the locos are a delight to run and clean. Indeed Edrig has had a huge amount of use. Now have three coal locos and I think I should call a halt for a while on loco purchase. I cannot however, see me buying another gas engine ? although I will probably keep the ones I have. The next loco will probably be a DJB coal firing kit ? but I think this will have to wait until I have more actual modelling time. I am sure that you will enjoy this loco....

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
You picked up a Ragleth ? Grrrr!

I forgot to add that I will sell the boiler, gas tank and associated pipework from the Ragleth, so the cost is down to £1275-ish.

Tim

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
Without the loco to hand, it's difficult to determine the problem. If the loco was a runner to start with and it's now stopped working, that's one thing. Trying to get a loco to work that never has, taxes even the experts, as you well know. Based on our prior experience it's likely there will be more than one single problem. What a shame he didn't pay attention to the good advice he was given previously.
Steve

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Still listed on Ebay though !

John.

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
Well, I'm surprised (!)
Tony, you should get Rolls to pay for your services- £3150 for a working Sabre seems quite good value, although he might not be able to wait until June for delivery!

Tim

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
All - Rob Cooper has at least two of his late father's locos on ebay at the moment- a Roundhouse Billy and an Accucraft Baldwin. Still in Walsall!

Tim

Drummond

Registered
27 Aug 2011
Best answers
The Rolls listing has ended. He might have got the message.

John Morgan

Steam Traction
23 Jun 2011
Norfolk
Best answers
Drummond said:
The Rolls listing has ended. He might have got the message.

Perhaps not as they have been re listed lower price I believe!

John.