Closure of part of Sandstone and Termite

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Typically, real bush tramways were built going uphill with the empties. Given the risk of runaways if you are hauling loads uphill, astute operators pushed loads uphill... better to have braking power on the downhill side of the train.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We have a flowering Cherry in the garden..
The Girls called it 'the Bee Tree', for pretty obvious reasons..
It has small 'curly' branches, from larger limbs. These seem quite brittle, and I have to clear them before cutting the grass.

Other problem, the roots seem to 'run', are quite shallow, and they throw 'new' trees.. I did spend a couple of weeks, off and on, a year or so back digging these roots out of the far-end of the garden..
A thankless job in Staffordshire Clay!
Yes one of my Cherries did the same trick, fortunately I managed to get all the suckers out from the persistant one that was nearest the house. This had had its roots well cut back when an extension had been built so had bolted towards the pond. These got sorted when I did a lot of replanting around the pond.
JonD

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Gavin is of course correct, however there are many examples of where the loads need to be moved uphill and normally big grunty power would be used to do it. Perhaps for Greg the solution would be for say the little 0-4-0 or some other such power to take the empties Down Grade to Blackwall and when they are loaded a grunty Shay or Garratt go down the grade to assist the loads uphill. Added operational interest and loads of fun too!
JonD

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
a run round loop?

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
a run round loop?
There was a loop there, but I ripped it out to use the turnouts elsewhere and to (hopefully) make more interesting (complicated?) operation.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
My thinking would be for the loco to be at the downhill end of the train, unless you have a brake van (and a very astute guard). If a coupling snapped you could have an uncontrolled runaway.

Rik

Last edited:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
If a coupling snapped you could have an uncontrolled runaway.

Ril

Yeh, but its a logging line. They don't worry about details like that.:D:D

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I started this Topic 2 years ago when the ‘round-the-yard’ run was severed by a neighbour’s tree dropping branches and damaging a bridge.

I had then planned to make Ti-tree into a terminus station and actually replaced some track and started building a turntable. BUT...

The baseboard at Ti-tree is 42’ long and made of fibro over old fence palings. About 6’ of the righthand end has now been destroyed by another falling branch. I am very worried about even being in that part of the yard for fear of being hit.

The track is mostly handmade, brass rails nailed to wood sleepers and is 17 years old. The nails are rusting and it is starting to fall to pieces. It will need a lot of work to fix.

The rest of the layout is 25 years old and is needing more and more maintenance. I have less time to work on, or use the train, because of my wife’s illness, so I have decided to remove the whole of Ti-tree and the line from Lilyvale. The truncated layout will still provide more than enough work and operations for me.

Here's the video of the last trains at Ti-tree

And the next day Pauline and I visited Ti-tree for the last time, before the building is demolished.

DSCN0289 fix C.jpg

(we are cardboard cutouts!)

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sad, but it comes to us all..

I hope 'demolished' is actually re-located? - It would be a shame to destroy the building..
ATB,
PhilP.

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Sad, but it comes to us all..

I hope 'demolished' is actually re-located? - It would be a shame to destroy the building..
ATB,
PhilP.
No I won't really wreck it. It has already had 3 lives - first as Ghost Gum, then Sandstone and then Ti-tree. Where next I wonder????

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I started this Topic 2 years ago when the ‘round-the-yard’ run was severed by a neighbour’s tree dropping branches and damaging a bridge.

I had then planned to make Ti-tree into a terminus station and actually replaced some track and started building a turntable. BUT...

The baseboard at Ti-tree is 42’ long and made of fibro over old fence palings. About 6’ of the righthand end has now been destroyed by another falling branch. I am very worried about even being in that part of the yard for fear of being hit.

The track is mostly handmade, brass rails nailed to wood sleepers and is 17 years old. The nails are rusting and it is starting to fall to pieces. It will need a lot of work to fix.

The rest of the layout is 25 years old and is needing more and more maintenance. I have less time to work on, or use the train, because of my wife’s illness, so I have decided to remove the whole of Ti-tree and the line from Lilyvale. The truncated layout will still provide more than enough work and operations for me.

And the next day Pauline and I visited Ti-tree for the last time, before the building is demolished.

View attachment 256620

Doesn't that make it hard to walk.....:rofl:

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 256620

Sad to see it go Greg I have some fond memories of driving the railmotor down to Ti-Tree from Lilydale against the flow of all the other traffic on the line.

Those types trees down the back are notorious for dropping branches especially during stormy weather like you have been having.