Cleaning rail joiners

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Found some very weathered (grungy and dirty) Peco rail joiners which I wanted to re-use - tried several ways to clean them, but not very successfully. Eventually came up with an idea that I bet some members have also used. Put the joiners in a glass jug, gave them a good squirt with Cillit Bang, swished them round, left them to soak for a few minutes, then gave them a good rinse -- came up like brand new!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
Coke was always reckoned to be able to clean a penny so would probably do the job here as well.

Perhaps a better idea is to put the coke in some rum and drink that while waiting for the Cilit Bang to work!:happy::happy::happy:

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps a better idea is to put the coke in some rum and drink that while waiting for the Cilit Bang to work!:happy::happy::happy:

There is a side effect with this, it can tend to make your legs go numb, hic

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers
As with all these tasks.............practice makes perfect!:D

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
I always knew I was wasting my time with folded sandpaper. Doh!

Dylanlewis2000

Registered
17 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I have spent hours upon hours cleaning them with sand paper, and other abrasives. In the end i have replaced loads with new railjoiners as this was the most effective for the job. Yes it has cost lots but i now know when i lay the track it will be having a good bedding