Cleaning my track...

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hello All,

Probabaly a silly newbie question...

I have fitted a broom handle to a block of wood at a comfy angle and taped very fine sand paper to it. I just lightly pass over the track until it looks bright and the trains stop stuttering for a while till I need to repeat.

Is there a reason I need a track cleaning loco? Seems very expensive in comparison. I guess it is a bit boring but I can get round it all in about ten minutes- and only now and again.

Wondering if I am missing something technical - don't want to damage things! Or is it more about having an engine with a purpose is fun? I can see this angle- if u have the cash...

Ian

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
I use a Garri-flex block to clean my track (and torture myself). I dont mind doing this but cant imagine doing it in 30 years time :( .

My dad has a track cleaning loco, which does a good job if you dont let the track get very dirty and keep on top of it. Not so good if you dont use your railway often.

Its a bit like the snow plow thing, i have one as a model, filled with cement for weight. But it wont clean the track gracefully, as the snow is not to scale. Its just nice to TRY and have something purpousful.

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Hi Ian

Before each run I wipe my track down with a thin damp sponge/cloth wrapped around a wooden block, thus wiping off plant and insect debris from all the trees etc overhanging our railway. I used an LGB track cleaning if it been a while since trains have run, wiping off with the said damp sponge/cloth. It's really one of those person choice issues with a track cleaning loco, some like them, some prefer manual methods like me. :)

I found the damp sponge/cloth was needed in our situation due to the stick necture from some silver birch trees and some honey dew from insects. Just the track block alone spreads the sticky stuff. ;)

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
the lgb track cleaning locs very good, but , if your happy with what your doing..
rule 8 all the way..

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Edit just realised you have quoted rule 8 so don't need to ask. Sounds like a good rule!

Still thanks for answering my question was worried that i could do harm with my technique. However will stick with it. Not very realsitic having a giant with a modified broom involved but never mind!!

Snow plough- wow what fun- any threads about making them anyway? I already act like a child when snow is forecast, I'd be even more desperate for the whitestuff if I made one of those :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
LGB make some track pads that fit under a wagon. I've fitted mine under a Matra Crane and added some metal wheels for weight.

I did take the springs out which push the pads onto the rail head though, as it caused too much drag for the loco.

The pads just use gravity for contact now.

I run this around my continuous circuit a few times to clean the track there, but the rails to the terminus are cleaned with an LGB track 'rubber' by hand, and on knees....

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Linky to the things I mentioned in my previous posting....

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/lgb-50040-track-cleaning-block-502-p.asp

http://www.dragon-gscale.co.uk/lgb-50050-track-cleaning-attachment-503-p.asp

Wobbleboxer

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Northants, UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are those people that can't bend or reach into tunnels etc where a loco is the best option. Personally, I'd love one but I've yet to find a US steam outline version.

RH Prague

Central European. the station pub is Czech !!
28 Oct 2009
Prague
Best answers
Country flag
I'm not as experienced as most here, but isnt sandpaper a no-no? In "explore the world of LGB" (good book for novices like me) it says "Do not use strong abrasives like sandpaper or emery cloth...They will grind away the rails and leave scratches that attract dirt. Also do not use steel wool. The metal fibres can damage the trains."
I use the track cleaning block, and soak it with LGB smoke fluid if the track is quite dirty. Its particularly good on points. I did have the pads on a wagon, but I didnt get anywhere near as much cleaning. Admittedly I'm lucky that most of my track is at waist height.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
personally, id agree, but some think not, experinasce will tell, me, i use a mixture off lgb track cleaner, lgb track block, and 2 very old manky peco track rubbers, large blue gritty rubbers..
1 snow plow :D

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
LGB TCL is exlnt if track isn't too dirty - esp after steamers
I use track cleaning blocks then - TCL for buffing up
I don't use sandpaper

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
My PW Maintenance Vehicle as described earlier, hauled by Kof Loco V10; it has an LGB 50500 Track Cleaning Attachment under the chassis and Metal Wheels for added weight....

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
I am surprised that no one has yet mentioned the Aristocraft 4695x track cleaning, based on a Bobber Caboose, I run one around does the job!

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I made my own track cleaner out of a Aristo godola, a wump of wood, two nails, some curtain wieghts and some wet and dry. I have only used it twice this year, I find that track dosen't seem to get that dirty and I have had no problems running locos:D :D

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
mike - 28/10/2009 1:28 PM
, large blue gritty rubbers..

For these take a look at the link below.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garryson-Garryflex-Abrasive-Block-120grit/dp/B0001P08UQ

Rob s

trains, R/C models, 4x4 off roading, motor sport
24 Oct 2009
West Midlands
Best answers
<p>A good cleaning pad, that is non-abrasive to metal is the '3M-scotch Brite' pads (green ones work the best)
these will clean really grungy Track with a little effort or just a once over for dirty track.</p><p>They are quite cheap too, find mine under the kitchen sink usually :D </p><p>Can be use on their own or attached to a block, especially good for cleaning points, it gets right up to the fish plates with out damaging the plastic</p>

[attachment deleted by admin]

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks all for all the help!!

Radish Bahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Meaford, Canada
Best answers
I use a bit of everything - an LGB track cleaning loco, LGB cleaning block or Scotchbrite pad. I wouldn't recommend sandpaper because it will leave scratches that will cause the track to collect dirt.