Cleaning In Situ Track

Slawman

Deckline
9 Apr 2018
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
I use an LGB track cleaning loco, a leaf blower and my hands and knees to pull anything stuck out from points.

I like the spinning toilet brush carriage Greg, i might pinch your idea and knock one of those up as well....!

Reactions: 1 user

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Again many thanks, and we can now let this thread drift

I don't think you realize JimmyB but you do not decide when the thread drift begins.........

Mu Ha Ha Ha Ha !

Reactions: 2 users

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I don't think you realize JimmyB but you do not decide when the thread drift begins.........

Mu Ha Ha Ha Ha !

Reminds me of my problems with Win10 roflmao.gif There we are - back off course with no one at the tiller.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Shorten the handle?
Contravercial but what a great idea!

To be honest I still prefer the good old LGB block. Though for experimentation I have just refitted the LGB 5005 to one of the Vans that sits in one of my Coaching Stock sets. I remember it being a pain in the past, but hope with my gruntier Locomotives it may be ok. Time will tell.

For those not in the know these 5005's screw under varying stock both freight and passenger (2 axle stock only I believe) to existing holes. Though there are usually a couple of round tank mouldings to spring out. I have placed them inside the van so that they do not get lost.

image.jpeg image.jpeg
Must ballast the track here, those webbs look awful!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Guessing you might need sowe weight in the van??

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Guessing you might need sowe weight in the van??
Well it has had a bit of a run today and no issues on Peco Points and Track. Will need to confirm LGB and Trainline Track in the next day or two.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
H

who is peco?
As Max has said, that wagon is upended on a Peco Point that has had the frogs changed to Live and all the plain track in those pictures is Peco as well. Peco do advertise in US Modelling Magazines as well.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Or what is - An old established UK model rail company loved by many here and elsewhere in most of the established scales -

https://www.peco-uk.com/prodtype.asp?strParents=&CAT_ID=3309&numRecordPosition=1

Their 45 mm G 45 track system is code 250 rail based. Unlike most others that are code 332 based - LGB, Piko (not Peco), USAT, Trainworld, etc', etc'.

They are also famous for this - http://www.pecorama.co.uk/

Max
Thanks Max, even at my age it's possible to learn something new, nice looking stuff, Bill

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My rolling stock bearing oiling fatigues got completed today, as it had been raining last night I decided to propel the Aristocraft Track Cleaner round to ckear any carp from the rails. Did a good job as well. Pic of it waiting for the vintage very rusty Signal to clear whilst propelling the Wagon. This has had a new body fitted to get rid of the USA look.image.jpeg

Last edited:

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I clean almost each time i run. I run analog, still, and use rail clamps.
I often run frr stuff, so clean rail is essential with the smaller wheels and wheelbase.

If im running daily, much less, say every four or five days. And, this only when theres no sap.

This year ive got about 90 ft, four points.

I have found clean track solves all my headaches, and, prevents pitting of the wheels from micro arcing. Slow speeds , easy start ups, without stalling.

I use: the cleaning loco, because i have one. (Should it ever break, ill replace it. Its really quite nice, but, pricey.)

The lgb block,
A sled similar to the one in gregs post, sometimes with a hefty weight on top.
This is, generally a pita , since i must triple head. More loco wear than effect.
The unweighted sled may be pushed or pulled for removal of grit, light cleaning.

At one time i used the under the car pads from lgb, but, imho, they are more for very light cleaning, cause derailments on points, and add a bit of drag. Less unsightly than a sled, less effective.

Simply, the lgb block is the most effective, imho. A few swipes, with full pressure cleans better than several slow passes with the loco, but, is less fun, and, more work. Cheap, effective.

Reactions: 1 users

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
I shall stick to my 1500-grit wet-or-dry paper, used wet, wrapped round a bit of wood, followed by a quick wipe with the soft cloth of your choice. Old socks work fine. I apologise to those of you who have heard (read) me say this many times, many, many times...

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I use a combination of Track Cleaning Loco, LGB hand block and the wagon mounted track cleaning pads. Most of my stock also has metal wheels, which IMHO, helps keep the crud off the railhead....