Class 153 scratch build

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Hi I'm Alasdair,

I'm building a new garden railway at present (See new members forum), and looking for some UK outline stock to run. As expected there's very little to none available, especially of anything beyond 1900.

So to get things started I thought I'd try and mock up a rather basic approximation of a class 153. The reasons for going for this are:
I have a Hornby version which has excellent detail as a starting point.
On reviewing the model I noticed that the original construction was highly modular, essentially a rivetted body shell, which lends itself to surface imperfections.
It's a nice short passenger train, which does not need a loop to reverse (my line is an end to end layout).

So after getting a ruler out and measuring it's key dimensions, and those of my PIKO GE 25 loco to determine the rough G scale loading gauge it appears that the OO gauge body shell will need to be multiplied by approx 3 times. Note: This is not going to be a Gauge 1 or finescale model, but closer to the difference between HO and OO.

Using the tools and materials at hand, I used Powerpoint to design the basic body panels, then used a B/W laser printer to print off the sides and front/rear of the train.

These were then glued to cereal packet cardboard and left overnight to dry.

Then everything was cut and glued together the next day, only a single end, and single middle module were completed to demonstrate the proof of concept and iron out any design and construction errors before I put any more time/effort in.

The following day I was sufficiently happy with the overall shape that I decided it would be worth mocking up a rough livery so that I could get a better sense of how it might look at full length and in the correct colours etc.

The next steps are to refine the cab ends so that they taper in, I had tried this on the first example, but it didn't work out, hence the slightly odd taper on the current cab end.

Other improvements needed include:
Change to increased thickness of board to reduce flex in body panels.
Include tabs on front panel to allow better connection of roof to front panel.
Cut all windows and opening while panels are flat.
Paint interiors and exterior while flat, before assembly.
Redesign connection of segments to reduce gap between each part, perhaps construct entire body panel before then assembling into body.

Longer term I need to find some appropriate style bogies, and move from card to plasticard or wood construction.

If someone could help with suggesting a source of cheap, representative bogies this would be much appreciated, I've considered FOS motors so far (https://fosworks.co.uk/) and IP Engineering (Chassis & Bogies | IP Engineering).

Comments and suggestions would be welcomed, but please remember this is not intended to be Gauge 1 or fine scale, the chances of it ever getting rivets added are zero, ok well I might include graphical representations if I get time, but you get the idea.

Thanks for reading, I've included a picture and the powerpoint file (PDF as the forum won't allow the Powerpoint) if you're interested in taking a closer look.

P1030848.JPG

Attachments

• Train.pdf
    27.3 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030850.JPG
    P1030850.JPG
    511.5 KB · Views: 0
  • P1030849.JPG
    P1030849.JPG
    441.4 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 user

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
An excellent start, it has the right shape etc. A small bit of paint tidying and it will be even better.:clap::clap::clap:

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi,, we'll come,, and a cracking start.. We like to see stuff as it's being built,please keep up the great work

Mike

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Thanks Mike, will keep the photos coming,

Alasdair

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Alasdair!
Seen your post's in the other thread.. You will find a number of 'British -ish' outline renditions on the Forum..

They pop up occasionally.. There is a Faller railbus, which tends to get chopped about a bit. - That might be of interest to you later?
The Fosworks axle-hung motor unit is an interesting idea.. There are others as well, if you are interested?

PhilP.

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Welcome Alasdair!
Seen your post's in the other thread.. You will find a number of 'British -ish' outline renditions on the Forum..

They pop up occasionally.. There is a Faller railbus, which tends to get chopped about a bit. - That might be of interest to you later?
The Fosworks axle-hung motor unit is an interesting idea.. There are others as well, if you are interested?

PhilP.
Thanks Philip,

Please do put me in the right direction, I'ver searched for DMU on the forum, and on google, frustratingly most Gauge 1 producers have a very low profile and the prices advertised for components/kits varies wildly. So any hints and tips would be great at this point of the project.

Alasdair

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Philip,

Please do put me in the right direction, I'ver searched for DMU on the forum, and on google, frustratingly most Gauge 1 producers have a very low profile and the prices advertised for components/kits varies wildly. So any hints and tips would be great at this point of the project.

Alasdair
Try searching for Railcar.

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers

Hi Philip,

Funny that, I was on that website today! (Is it your website?) :) It's a definite possibility, although from the post I saw it's coming with a commonwealth style bogie, which isn't ideal.

At present I'm likely to go for IP engineering as it's frames are also pretty close to the outline I need, and the cost is low (I'm aware that there are some comments regarding power and quality on the IP bogies).

Thanks for the suggestion

Alasdair

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
So today's progress is that I have sat and wondered whether I should try and resize for gauge 1 (1:32) and looking at the physical dimensions it just felt too small, undersized compared with the current stock. Which I guess is not surprising.

But it convinced me that I will continue to go with the G scale version, and after that decision was made I thought I would see if I could add some more detail to the printed model, and correct the design issues I discovered in the initial version.

So see new file with additional detail and livery, I may be able to get a colour laser copy tomorrow, and if so then I could have a new mock up ready by the end of the week.

I've also searched through thousands of webpages today looking for suitable bogies, and thanks go to Jonathon at g-bits for his post, as this has helped clarify the options available.

In particular the overall design was always meant to be modular, allowing the removal/insertion of sections dependent on the radii and length of line available but now with Jonathon's post I can begin to map out what a suitable bogie might look like once I have decided on the right length for my own line.

A full size model would have 3 centre modules and 2 end modules, for a length of approx 80cm. As for what length I will go for I think I will initially build a full length version, and then depending on whether that 'feels' right I'll keep it at that, otherwise hopefully I'll have a better idea of the right size after completing it. I may also be able to work it out as I go along, given I don't have to glue all the modules together immediately.

Based on Jonathon's response I'm likely to go with the Taurus motor if the model is full sized, as this is PIKO which I already have and has pickups already included, which keeps things simple for my first attempt.

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
And the new file

Attachments

• Train v1.pdf
    251.6 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Philip,

Funny that, I was on that website today! (Is it your website?) :) It's a definite possibility, although from the post I saw it's coming with a commonwealth style bogie, which isn't ideal.

At present I'm likely to go for IP engineering as it's frames are also pretty close to the outline I need, and the cost is low (I'm aware that there are some comments regarding power and quality on the IP bogies).

Thanks for the suggestion

Alasdair

No, not me...
I came across it after 'swapping' some RC stuff for Kippo Models buildings. - MUST get round to building them! :rolleyes:

For completeness:

is me.. :nerd::)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought but maybe a Newquida coach body could be used as a basis for you model?

I just happen to have one you can have FoC, if you pay postage....

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
No, not me...
I came across it after 'swapping' some RC stuff for Kippo Models buildings. - MUST get round to building them! :rolleyes:

For completeness:

is me.. :nerd::)
:) thanks, so yours is the Peckforton railway! I like your new platform, could be a good style for mine.

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Just a thought but maybe a Newquida coach body could be used as a basis for you model?

I just happen to have one you can have FoC, if you pay postage....

That's a very generous offer, do you have dimensions? And does it include the chassis or just the body? Not sure how close the two are in design/window spacing etc

Thanks again for the offer

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Managed to print the design in colour today, so hopefully I'll get a chance to mount the sheets onto card tonight and then look to progress with the build over the remainder of the week.

Not sure on how the rivets look, I was concerned if I made them a darker shade of the location colour that they might not come out in the printing process. But equally the black on cream looks too much, perhaps I need open circles rather than filled circles.

Then again if viewed from a metre or so they may simply appear as darkened areas.

Probably a wait and see situation, but comments or suggestions welcomed.

Thanks, Alasdair

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
That's a very generous offer, do you have dimensions? And does it include the chassis or just the body? Not sure how close the two are in design/window spacing etc

Thanks again for the offer
Just the body, as I've used the roof and chassis on another project....

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:) thanks, so yours is the Peckforton railway! I like your new platform, could be a good style for mine.

Not quite..

Rik Bennett (Ge-Rik on the Forum) started RC Trains, and so there a re many references, and links, to The Peckforton Railway within the RC Trains website.
Rik has graciously allowed those to stay, and is adding more, and more, as time goes on. - He has been building / modifying his line for quite some time.

For various reasons, he decided to pass the business on, and I was looking for something a little less strenuous, than my work at the time.. The rest, as they say, is history. :)

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Not quite..

Rik Bennett (Ge-Rik on the Forum) started RC Trains, and so there a re many references, and links, to The Peckforton Railway within the RC Trains website.
Rik has graciously allowed those to stay, and is adding more, and more, as time goes on. - He has been building / modifying his line for quite some time.

For various reasons, he decided to pass the business on, and I was looking for something a little less strenuous, than my work at the time.. The rest, as they say, is history. :)

Got it! :)

alasdair555

Registered
7 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Just the body, as I've used the roof and chassis on another project....
Thanks Gizzy, I think for now I'll stick with the current build as I'm not up to speed on spray painting, which I would guess would be the best way to relivery a plastic body.

But assuming this goes okay then I might have another look at the Newquida bodies, because if I could relatively sensibly add a DMU face onto the front of a standard coach, and I think it's a big if! :) Then that would cut a lot of the hassle of scratch building the full coach.

I guess I'd wonder why someone hasn't tried it before, perhaps they've got better rolling stock taste than me, or maybe sense!