David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
This is probably the first passenger coach that I ever bought many years ago. It’s a brown version of the LGB ‘Barmer’ bogie coach that has appeared in many guises and liveries over the years. I bought this example second hand off Ebay. It had been modified by its previous owner by cutting off the centre buffer, moulded as part of the buffer beam, and replacing the hook and loop couplings with buckeyes. I retro fitted the hook and loop couplings and made replacement buffer bodies, using laminates of plasticard, filed to shape, with new LGB buffer heads fitted. This brought the model back to basic spec before I started my own modifications. I have had this coach for so long that the only photographs of it in its original state, as purchased, are 35mm colour negatives.

.Neg 177 - 18.jpg

.Neg 177 - 19.jpg

As I said, I have had this coach for many years, most of that time spent in pieces, while I experimented and prevaricated over how I was going to alter its appearance in order to Anglicise it. In the end the project went on the back burner while I concentrated on the line’s freight stock. Now that I have made a concerted effort to crack on with the passenger stock, it is time to wipe off the considerable accumulation of dust and get on with it.

Starting with the roof, I experimented with various layouts, with and without the clerestory. In the end I decided to keep the clerestory roof and add lamp tops and roof vents by GRS. The roof has two chimneys but as the interior does not have, and no room to fit, stoves, they were removed and the holes were filled in.

I am not a fan of moulded on pipework or handrails. The coach body ends have pipework detail moulded on, as this is going to be a freelance kitbash, I decided to remove these superfluous details by carving them off with a scalpel and sanding smooth. For the same reason I removed the brake stand detail from the balcony ends and buffer beam.

.Neg 177 - 19 - Copy.jpg

I removed the balcony doors and filled in the hinge points with plasticard off cuts. The sides were then drilled for full height brass wire handrails. The addition of GRS brass etch lamp irons completed the modifications to the balcony ends.

dig 180325003.JPG

The extensive lining and ornamentation of the coach sides were all sanded off. The biggest alteration to the appearance of the coach was to remove the narrow panels between the window frames to create four large windows on each side, instead of eight small ones. The window apertures were then framed out using 2.0 x 1.0 mm plastic strip to give the coach a more Anglicised appearance. The original glazing was by means of four moulded clear plastic strips, one long and one short for each side, These clear moulded pieces simulated curtains at the windows but crucially had shaped retaining slots into which the coach roof clipped. I had to fabricate new glazing pieces from 1.5mm clear plastic sheet and had to drill and file them to replicate the fixing slots for the roof.

dig 180325001.JPG

dig 180325002.JPG

dig 180325004.JPG

From the photos you can see that at some stage in the past I started to paint the model, which was by way of experimentation. This was a mistake as the first thing I should have done was to give the relevant parts/areas an undercoat of plastic grey primer. This was done before any further paint was applied. The door windows have been masked of ready for the paint shop. The only modification to the interior was to add tables to the first class compartment. The tops were offcuts of plasticard and the legs cut from wooden cocktail sticks

dig 180325005.JPG

dig 180325006.JPG

dig 180325007.JPG

dig 180325008.JPG

The bogies were re-wheeled with Al Kramer nickel plated turned solid brass wheels. These give tremendous weight low down to give a low centre of gravity to the model. As with all of my conversions, probably the biggest change in appearance comes from the re-paint.

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Here is the finished model after being put through the paint shop, glazed and sign written. When I reassembled the clerestory roof, I added glazing which is not present on the original model.

dig 180331001.JPG

dig 180331002.JPG

dig 180331003.JPG

dig 180331004.JPG

dig 180331005.JPG

dig 180331006.JPG

dig 180331007.JPG

dig 180331008.JPG

dig 180331009.JPG

dig 180331010.JPG

dig 180331011.JPG

dig 180331012.JPG

David

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Coach No 10 with its, as yet unmodified twin, No 11

dig 180401007.JPG

David

Reactions: 3 users

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
No - not the DR one - find a Barmer.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
What I haven't worked out is why we haven't started at No1 and worked our way up through 2, 3, 4 etc

I'm sure that's how it went at school :emo::emo::emo::emo:

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
What I haven't worked out is why we haven't started at No1 and worked our way up through 2, 3, 4 etc

I'm sure that's how it went at school :emo::emo::emo::emo:

Extract copied from one of the other coach construction posts:-

Having declared my intention to construct/modify 14 coaches in total, for the Claptowte Railway, I was asked why I started with coach No 6 followed by No 4, and now No 13. The explanation is that, the passenger fleet is intended to comprise 3 x rakes of three coaches, each comprising a 3rd, 1st/3rd and brake 3rd vehicle. In each rake the carriage styles will be mixed, in typical narrow gauge practice, with no two vehicles being the same. There will be a Buffet Car which can be attached to any of these rakes as required. There will also be a 4-wheel Directors Coach which can also be attached to any rake. The other two remaining vehicles will be a 1st/3rd and a full brake parcels van which will run with the two Freight Stock Milk Vans to form the early morning milk/parcels train. Coaches 4, 6 and 13 just happened to be the first coaches to be modified and will comprise the first complete rake to be run as 6,13,4

If you do the maths that adds up to 13 coaches, the fourteenth will be a brake/3rd (No 3), identical to No 4 but the premise is that it has been taken out of passenger revenue service, re-liveried in Engineering Green and used as a Tool/Mess van for use with the line's travelling crane.

David

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Extract copied from one of the other coach construction posts:-

Having declared my intention to construct/modify 14 coaches in total, for the Claptowte Railway, I was asked why I started with coach No 6 followed by No 4, and now No 13. The explanation is that, the passenger fleet is intended to comprise 3 x rakes of three coaches, each comprising a 3rd, 1st/3rd and brake 3rd vehicle. In each rake the carriage styles will be mixed, in typical narrow gauge practice, with no two vehicles being the same. There will be a Buffet Car which can be attached to any of these rakes as required. There will also be a 4-wheel Directors Coach which can also be attached to any rake. The other two remaining vehicles will be a 1st/3rd and a full brake parcels van which will run with the two Freight Stock Milk Vans to form the early morning milk/parcels train. Coaches 4, 6 and 13 just happened to be the first coaches to be modified and will comprise the first complete rake to be run as 6,13,4

If you do the maths that adds up to 13 coaches, the fourteenth will be a brake/3rd (No 3), identical to No 4 but the premise is that it has been taken out of passenger revenue service, re-liveried in Engineering Green and used as a Tool/Mess van for use with the line's travelling crane.

David
:confused: