David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
My thread of the conversion of the Claptowte Railway Goods Wagon No14 Flat has generated quite a bit of interest in the tractor, used as a load for the wagon. As a result, I have opened this thread about the tractor itself.

The Claptowte Railway is essentially a rural railway. For some time I have been on the lookout for a suitable 1/24 scale farm tractor to use as a load for a wagon. Given that the railway is broadly set in the 1950/60s, it had not to look too modern. I finally (March 2022) found one on eBay at a reasonable price. Not knowing much about tractors, it looked fairly dated to me, I subsequently find that this is actually a current model, as produced to an older design, in India, for consumption by the home market.

No scale was given for the model, but it was listed among the 1/24 scale offerings on eBay. It would appear to be one of about half a dozen different models, obviously aimed at the many tractor enthusiasts out there. It would appear to be 1/24 scale, or as close as to make no difference, and ideal for use with my G Scale (1/22.5) railway. The model itself is pretty tacky. The quality and finish of the component parts is very poor and the assembly of the parts is dreadful. With a minimal amount of tweaking and re-gluing, it makes a presentable enough model, even from close viewing distances. All in all, it was perfect for my needs and I am ultimately rather pleased with it. It looks pretty good as a wagon load on the railway.

dig 220313002.JPG

dig 220313001.JPG

The tractor loaded onto a Claptowte Railway Flat wagon. Below is a link to how the wagon was modified.
Claptowte Railway - Goods Wagon No14 Stake Wagon (Flat)

dig 220318003.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hm tacky sounds good, be ideal for a bash to a crudy East German tractor.