Chipping a "Fat Boy"

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello
I have just bought an LGB 20231.1 "Fat Boy" 2-4-0 locomotive. It is about 10 years old and does not have sound but it is stamped "Direct Decoder". I would like to chip it and it would appear that the LGB 55021 decoder is recommended. I have had a look inside the loco and can see several sockets which look like they will accept decoder wiring and there are also 4 DIL switches. Does anybody have any info on fitting a decoder and in particular the wring details as I may wish to use a "spare" decoder I have available.
Bill

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
As I understand it, Bill, the "direct decoder" logo means that the actual board of the LGB decoder will physically plug straight onto the loco's fitted electronics board, without any wiring loom or other cables being used. I think all the dip switches should be set to "off" when the decoder is fitted, but I'm sure someone else will confirm this.

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
Bill,

got all the LGB product detail pdf's for this loco, drop me a line with your email adress and I'll send them on ;)

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
hello
The 55021 decoder has four individual leads (see picture) and there are a variety of sockets.
Bill

MTheStrong

Registered
28 Oct 2009
Harwich
Best answers
Country flag
Bill, The decoder fits directly onto the board in the loco. You do not need to use the 4 leads which can be cut off and are surplus to requirements.