Chipping a control car

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,
I have ordered a LGB RhB cab control car and would like to install a decoder to control the lights when running on a digital system (MTS3+Navigator). It is the lastest version, ABt 1701 with LGB no. 31903. Can I use a Massoth M-decoder or maybe the 8FL to do the job and how should the decoder be connected? Any help would be appeciated, especially descriptions or pictures of how to hook up the decoder!!

7f39e0acdb924f2e912ce7e69c206dcd.jpg

-Loco-

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Loco - if you go to Massoth's website and then to the "download centre", you can get pdf versions of all their instruction manuals - so you can check on the use and installation instructions for any of their products before actually buying the item, to help figure out if it is what you need.
Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The 8FL will do the job.

The control car may have an LGB Function decoder interface in which case ithe 8FL would just plug in.

HBBahn

Registered
21 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Country flag
The RhB control car used to have a full MTS direct decoder interface, so a 55021 or an old 55020 was required. Can't speak for the more modern versions, though.

Loco

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Vestfold
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks a lot for the information. I hope the new car has the same decoder interface as the old one linked to by Steve. I will wait and see before I order a decoder.

To me it looks like a driving decoder is better than the 8FL, as lights automatically will change from yellow to red depending on the direction the train is moving in when using either consisting or the same address for the control car as the locomotive. I can't see how the 8FL can do that, is that decoder more suitable for just turning on/off lights in a car with the Function keys?

-Loco-

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The 8FL will quite happily do what you ask.

mbendebba

Registered
14 Feb 2010
Baltimore, MD, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Loco
The control car has a decoder interface that accept either the LGB 55021 or the Massoth L decoder without any modification to the decoders or the control car. The Massoth 8FL is the right decoder for the job, but you must slip its wire into eight strands and then solder these strands onto the control car's interface board. I personally opted for the Massoth L decoder.
Mohammed

TONYWARD50

Tadpole sexing</br>
16 Nov 2009
North Dorset
Best answers
I removed the existing board and connected a standard Bachmann Chip for £10 which does the job admirably and takes up very little space. You do have to attach the wires carefully, though.