Cheap solar lighting for buildings

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Our local Mal-Wart (cheesy imported crap for less - always) had these little solar garden lights for $3 each
outdoorlightjpg.jpg

The light part comes off the stake with a simple 1/3 turn... which led me to the idea of using them to light some of my Piko buildings.

3 of them face the morning sun, so the backside is washed with bright light all afternoon. The first step was to cut the back window 2 'boards' wider to clear the solar panel.
P3090001.jpg

Then I framed the hole with Plastruct... It looks sorta like a picture window now, I hope.
P3090002.jpg

I had 2 here that I could do tonight so this is what the installation looks like from the inside AND the outside. Not to awful or noticeable.
P3090004.jpg

I tried to take a pic of the lit buildings, but the flash overwhelmed it. IMO the color is a bit too bluish, I'm hoping a wash of pale yellow will make it look more like incandescent lighting... I'll try it and report back.

The buildings on the other side of the square will be a bit harder to hide the light. Once I figure out how to do that I'll post it here as well

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Nice Idea Mik , then you can your the stem of the light as a load

c7fb3300eee5413ea43f932e55e2d96d.jpg

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK