Cheap radio control

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
I got this off another forum. The guy that put this together posted it. Its a great and cheap way to get R/C for our trains. Only disadvantage is you have to have knowledge on electronics to make something for reverseing (he tells you how to do it). I just ordered two from amazon and going to try it. But I plan on adding a DPDT switch for reverse. Though you guys might like it.
http://trainelectronics.com/Articles/RadioControl-LED-8Amp/

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Seriously???? Cobber you have missed the boat they have been discussed, used and abused here for ages....
Ok to get them to work with a brushed motor you need a flywheel diode across the output. I have them installed on my trams and I'm going to have a heap to sell cheap. They work quite well as a single channel speed control but there is one drawback, the response time. They DO NOT offer an instantaneous response and are not much chop if you have heavy traffic. On a railway with 1 or 2 trains and a bit of track between the two they are ok and yes dirt cheap. For what I want not all that good... There is a 3 channel version too for around the same price much discussed as well viz; http://www.gscalecentral.net/3-Channel-elcheapo-radio-control-m275406

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
Anyway they do work as a single channel speed control... you have to forgive my sarcasm, I'm Australian, an irreverent antipodean...

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
tramcar trev said:
Anyway they do work as a single channel speed control... you have to forgive my sarcasm, I'm Australian, an irreverent antipodean...

As am I - but as Trev says they do work; I've got one running a IP Shelley tram with a DPDT reversing arrangement. Generally works OK and I haven't had any problems with delays except when the loco is shielded by my water tanks - but then 20000 litres of water contained in two large steel tanks does make a bit of an RF shadow. You do need to ensure that the input voltage is 12v; they don't seem to like dropping below that. Also, on is on and the loco will start moving as soon as that is pressed. OTH, switching it off provides the crash stop. There are also what appear to be other brands around, for the price I'm tempted to try another.

Steve

Steve

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
SPOZ, perhaps I could give you one of my surplus ones....
I'm not sure of the "other brands" the 3 channel one that Neil got going is the only other I know of. I'm using one in a single channel mode and its the better of the 2 types. There are however large discrepancies in the PCB layout and design but they are all cased in the same manner. Some of the Key Fobs have a 2032 cell, a 2025 cell or an A23. How you tell the difference before purchase is the question. I do know that if you price these over the counter at a "Lighting Shoppe" they ask from AU$39.95 to AU$ 89.95 (Oh yes LED dimmers are expensive - we have to import them)
As a cordless LED dimmer thay are just brilliant, I have 2 fitted to my caravan lighting and it wows the other campers...

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Shawn said:
I got this off another forum. The guy that put this together posted it. Its a great and cheap way to get R/C for our trains. Only disadvantage is you have to have knowledge on electronics to make something for reverseing (he tells you how to do it). I just ordered two from amazon and going to try it. But I plan on adding a DPDT switch for reverse. Though you guys might like it.
http://trainelectronics.com/Articles/RadioControl-LED-8Amp/

It does look as though the 'internals' are different but, then again, I'd be the last person to ask about electronics. The link is certainly worthwhile for those who are capable of working with PCBs and components.

For my part, I was trying to control a 3 - 6v motor and I used 8 x AA rechargeables (9.6v) - If I'd used ordinary batteries this would have given the 12 volts but I was worried that I might burn out the motor.

Operation was intermittent but I may revisit the situation at 12 volts!

And I use a switch to reverse it (my Reo Railbus bash) too - with a push button underneath the stove pipe (jack?).

spoz

What do I do? What I'm told by SWMBO
27 Oct 2011
Adelaide, South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Trev,

Mine is their item number 390496461927, which I suppose means something to them, and it cost me the grand total of AUD$5.20, which I'm sure somebody will tell me was more than I needed to pay. That's a price less than I would have thought the postage is likely to bebetween two cities in this fair land.

There do seem to be a number of ebay sellers with the same general item. Some of the numbers in other ads are different, where they are quoted at all, and direct access to one or two websites (eg http://www.horizonstarenergy.com ) provides what looks like alternatives items as well although of course they may well be the same thing masquerading as something different. But at that price, for the one or two items I am ever likeley to need (I don't think I'm likely to get into the nose-to-tail tram business, although one should never say never I suppose), they'll do for things like the Shelley.

Steve

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
I've used the led dimmer for quite a while now, the latest out was at the Gold Coast Show.
One for the Family Pizza and one using an old laptop power supply. they were on for about nine hours a day, with the laptop driven on supplying up to 1.5 amps continuous.