Cheap 2.4GHz radio control now possible

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
corgi - 3/12/2009 6:56 AM

I just bought another 2.4g r/c trans/rec with cable and software off ebay from hongkong for Au$67. (about 30 quid)
Plenty available at the moment.

To late to edit but that price also covers shipping.

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Well my latest purchase of $A300 worth of 2.4 GHz radio control stuff from HobbyKing has arrived in good order.
I’ve now got 3 transmitters and enough receivers and motor controllers (ESC) and servos to do 8 locos (4 of which don’t exist yet, but you have to plan ahead). (You Poms can just halve the $A figure to get pounds, though your postage from Hong Kong may be more than mine.)

The purchase also included 48, NiMH AA, 2300mAh cells – at about $A1.05 each, delivered. That should be enough for 5 or 6 locos.
So with the money previously spent, I’ll now get 8 locos radio controlled for under $A500 including batteries!

For my first project, I’ve used one lot of equipment to do an RC track power control.
I run almost all battery power locos now, but I still have four, 433 MHz track controllers, but only use them for visitors. I selected the least reliable of the 4 for conversion.
As the old controller had a 30V supply, I couldn’t use a stock ESC rated at 15V, so I built my own using a Picaxe microcontroller.

There’s no much to show, but here is a block circuit diagram.
5dd32d6b99984de292697c42baba9f6b.gif

For more info on this conversion, see my webpage :- http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/2point4GHz.htm#picaxeESC

I’ve also done the conversion to make the Tx have two throttles, as per KleineDicke’s topic here:
http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=38253 < Link To Modifying a Hobby King 2.4 GHz 4CH
Here's the transmitter with some of my labelling
605cd355043e4a7b86ee322f5dd42bf5.jpg

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Having browsed through as many relevant threads as I can cope with at my age... I have also ordered a budget price 2.4Ghz transmitter & receiver from HK.... I am planning to use it with an Enhanced Railboss from G Scale Graphics. I'll let you know how I get on, but don't hold your breath:banghead:

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
robsmorgan said:
Having browsed through as many relevant threads as I can cope with at my age... I have also ordered a budget price 2.4Ghz transmitter & receiver from HK.... I am planning to use it with an Enhanced Railboss from G Scale Graphics. I'll let you know how I get on, but don't hold your breath:banghead:

Good luck. The RailBoss sounds like a good unit, if a tad expensive. Hope you "get it all together" and it runs first go!

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks for your good wishes Greg.......... ref. the price of 'Railboss'... I have been having a bit of friendly banter with Del @ Railboss, with a view to achieving a discount for GSC & MyLargeScale members but to no avail.... I will post my installation results. This could be fun as I have never tried to do this before:nerd:

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
I am still awaiting the arrival of my Railboss 2.4Ghz kit so am kicking my heels a bit... in the meantime I have been experimenting with recording whistle & bell sounds captured from YouTube. My intention is to use a modified MP3 player (purchased from 7dayshop.com for around £6) to supply appropriate sounds... (will need a separate amplifier - currently a 12 watt mono cheapie from Maplin is doing the job) So far I have managed to dismantle the unit enough to identify the miniature 'play' trigger points, soldered tails to them and hope to be able to control by RC via the Railboss unit..... watch this space.... or advise me if you think or know something I should.:nerd:

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
robsmorgan said:
... in the meantime I have been experimenting with recording whistle & bell sounds captured from YouTube. My intention is to use a modified MP3 player (purchased from 7dayshop.com for around £6) to supply appropriate sounds... (will need a separate amplifier - currently a 12 watt mono cheapie from Maplin is doing the job) So far I have managed to dismantle the unit enough to identify the miniature 'play' trigger points, soldered tails to them and hope to be able to control by RC via the Railboss unit..... watch this space.... or advise me if you think or know something I should.:nerd:
Sounds good to me (no pun intended). I bought a cheap MP3 2 years ago but haven't got round to pulling it apart. Also the need for a 3V supply is an added complication. By coincidence I was suggesting to a mate only last night that he use an MP3 and download a white noise file and see if he could make a steam loco chuff sound unit
I'm still using the 24 sec sound recorder boards from electronics123.com, to record whistles, horns etc. They run off 6V so can supply from the RC system.
Hope you start a new topic to tell us all about your success!

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
Thanks Greg and OK, If it seems to be working out I will start a new topic.... the £5.99 Mp3 from 7DayShop (inc free postage to UK)
link:- http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=100694
runs from a single AAA 1.2v cell - they say for around 10 hours.... so I may mount a separate battery holder to ease battery changing rather than on board recharge. :clap:

Bob
Update: I have taken the bull by the horns and started a thread (Cheapskate):yawn: under Sounds - once again thanks for your encouragement!
[font="tahoma, verdana, arial"][/font]

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Best answers
OOOOPS! Posted this here in error - in response to RC options thread question

Totally agree with Greg H - I forgot to mention the saving of tedious track cleaning!!
(£30) Hong Kong units...... In my experience FlySky Rx Tx packaged kit can be added to with Hobby King Rx units at approx £6 each (I did check the spec very carefully but I may have been lucky) which add to the number of functions/units controllable from one Tx.

Regards
Rob

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
I think this has solved the method of control for my tramway. I'd assume that you would be able to use each channel to control each traction motor so as I only want speed and direction control things should work out well....