Car Transporter flat wagon

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
As there is a limit to the number of repainted NQ Gondola wagons that you can have on your layout I have been looking at a "cheap & cheerful" conversion to something else which doesn't involve a vast amount of work, unlike the Argentine brakevan build I posted on here earlier in the year.

I bought a couple of 1/24 scale models of Fiat cars at the Duxford Showbus rally last year which were from an Italian "partwork" publication which are actually rather nice models and set me back all of £5 each. I bought a Fiat 500 and a Fiat 127, together with an NSU Prinz which will still remain in a display cabinet as my Father owned one of those in the late 1960's! (though I have a real Fiat 127 in my garage, though it isn't on the road at the moment..)
Fiat 500's and 127's can still be seen in daily use in Argentina, so a car carrier wagon to go with my Piko 218 conversion/wagons/brakevan seemed a good idea, with a relatively simple job of removing the wagon ends and providing some loading ramps. The wagon sides will be retained on the finished product, but have been removed whilst I alter the flatbed body.

The main job has been constructing the loading ramps on the body, various sections of plastic strip and oddments of plasticard being used.

The initial work involved a couple of strips to fit between the tyres on the cars so that they would be positioned centrally on the wagon. The eylets in yellow are from a Hartland flat wagon kit and will be used as pivots for the unloading ramps. Ramps on the wagon floor have been made from plasticard.

47c8a234cad34b64ae8efdccd08609b3.jpg

Rods were inserted through the eyelets and then the end unloading ramps are construted from more plasticard sections stuck directly to them.

410e7a5a30b64028a7ee22406551fe07.jpg

To be continued.............(now back to working on the portable N scale layout..!)

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
wow it look superb mate....u doing a great job bulding it so i did notice tht u =doing a layout on n gauges?....usa?....if so..i have n gauge myself....so i m selling it....nice n usa items and aslo ho as well...........drop me a line..thks u.....

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
After a six week gap due to work commitments and trips abroad, i've finally managed to get some more work done on the car transporter wagon that I was converting.

With the loading ramps constructed, the wagon started receiving it's first coats of paint.

9f9b4e16219a4148997515ebaf9dd195.jpg

I decided to retain the wooden wagon sides which were painted and then fixed back on the chassis. In addidion some wooden chocks have been glued to the floor to hold the two cars in position.

d4caf96dd7c04c8e84e5dee54da90685.jpg

I might even manage to get the wagon completed this weekend!

hagen

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Kongsberg, Norway
Best answers
Very nice. I am very impressed with what can be done with a small amount of work.
I am a budget railroader (well not according to wifey, according to her I'm an 'over budget railroader') so these tips are welcome

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work mate....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Great conversion. I didn't know the sides came off! Great car the 127 - used to have one.

Mick

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Great conversion. I didn't know the sides came off! Great car the 127 - used to have one.

Mick

The sides are just pushed into the side pockets - With a bit of "persuasion" they will come out fairly easily.

Not too sure about the 127 being a great car though. I inherited mine (1976 series 1 version)when my Grandfather gave up driving in 1984 and used it for 4 years before buying a VW Golf (and have stuck to VW Group products ever since). The Fiat went into store for about 10 years and then was put back on the road for a couple of years before going back into store. You don't see many of them around now (mainly due to rust..) and one day I will get it roadworthy again. Think it's got about 37000 miles on the clock from new!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a well exacuted build.. i like it:D

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Miamigo259 said:
Not too sure about the 127 being a great car though. I inherited mine (1976 series 1 version)when my Grandfather gave up driving in 1984 and used it for 4 years before buying a VW Golf (and have stuck to VW Group products ever since). The Fiat went into store for about 10 years and then was put back on the road for a couple of years before going back into store. You don't see many of them around now (mainly due to rust..) and one day I will get it roadworthy again. Think it's got about 37000 miles on the clock from new!

I know what you mean but I think it was one of the better Fiats. The few years we had it I think I spent a tenner on a front wheel bearing and a similar sum on a front shocker. It did 40 to the gallon and I carried eight people in it once (or twice). Only sold it because I ended up with reps car (a Ford, a Ford, four wheels and a board, guaranteed to go if you push it).

Mick

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Managed to get the wagon finished off this morning and took it outside for some photos to be taken which are shown below.

The FIAT logo for the side of the body was scanned in off an old invoice for my car and printed off on my printer. Aren't computers wonderful!

Now to reclaim the railway (and the garden) from 7 weeks of neglect so I can actually run the thing!

ed6f988d9a4f444ba1647b40a47eeecb.jpg

d1fde693d57d47b78fedf978b22bf661.jpg

0da1b1e9328c4f2ab9f2cce6f8d98a07.jpg

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
trammayo said:
Miamigo259 said:

I know what you mean but I think it was one of the better Fiats. The few years we had it I think I spent a tenner on a front wheel bearing and a similar sum on a front shocker. It did 40 to the gallon and I carried eight people in it once (or twice). Only sold it because I ended up with reps car (a Ford, a Ford, four wheels and a board, guaranteed to go if you push it).

Mick

Don't knock the Fiat 127 - cheaper & better equipped than the Ford Fiesta of its day.

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Nothing to do with the wagon, but here's the real Fiat about 12 years ago.

Unfortunately it isn't as pristine as that now and the background to the photo has changed rather a lot as well!

a70126e9c6054da99bd5ee22bbf16391.jpg