Can't find the CV to set headlight voltage on NCE V 3.6

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
I just purchased a used Locomotive that reads back CV7 as 36 and CV8 as 11. Unhappily the engine came with no paperwork. I am treating it as an NCE ver 3.6. The headlights (F&R) are too bright and blackened as most incandescent lamps do when run too hot. My internet search capabilities are nonexistent tonite. Can someone PLEASE tell me which CVs control brightness for my brain and the illumination.
---Hutch

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Manuals are here:

This might be what you need?

There is masses of information on this site, but finding a CV list was not easy. - Probably fine, if you already 'speak' NCE? :rolleyes:

PhilP.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Must admit I wouldn't recommend relying on a CV to control the lighting brightness. I always leave the CVs at full value and use resistors, that way no risk of blowing lights if you reset the decoder or replace it and forget to re-program.

Hutch

1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Must admit I wouldn't recommend relying on a CV to control the lighting brightness. I always leave the CVs at full value and use resistors, that way no risk of blowing lights if you reset the decoder or replace it and forget to re-program.
Thanks, just ordered higher voltage light bulbs. A little common sense goes a long ways.
---Hutch

Hutch

1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Manuals are here:

This might be what you need?

There is masses of information on this site, but finding a CV list was not easy. - Probably fine, if you already 'speak' NCE? :rolleyes:

PhilP.
Totally new to NCE. Lenz and Massoth have warped my mind.
THANKS ---Hutch

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yeah, NCE is pretty old school on it's decoders, rugged, but very basic comparatively. Dimming is fairly new.

I also what Nick said... I've always external means to control voltage/current to lights. Some of my buddies told me I was too old school, just use the dimming registers in the decoder and no dropping resistor needed (by the way the dimming is pulse width modulation, another story)

Those buddies got pretty quiet when they did some programming later, reset the decoder, put full "voltage" on their lights and burned them out right away.

Sometimes old school has it's "safety features".

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Hutch

1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Thanks to all for the assistance.

The new 24 volt light bulbs and Smoke generator arrived yesterday.

Installed them today and tested thoroughly.

---Thanks ---Hutch

Last edited: