can the lgb stainz make number 20201 be upgraded?

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
there are a few spare parts, and i got my stainz loco in the mail yesterday, i would like to hack in the sound effect parts into this loco, i know a chip is needed, a different firebox, and mount a speaker in the cab roof. can this be done on my loco without any problems? are there more parts needed then this?
also for the fun of it, how old is my loco?

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Ok then.
You can fit sound to most all versions of the Stainz, it's just a question of ingenuity or how much you are prepared to spend.
Turn over your loco and (hopefully.) you'll see a little gold sticker with OK on it. The first and last numbers of the number on this sticker will give give you the year it was made.
Now the question everyone will ask you;
Will you be using DC or DCC control?
Your reply to that will make it easier for people to give you the correct information.

If you are looking at DC and cheap, then a sound card from a 20212 can be picked up at for a reasonable sum and wired straight into the supply to the rear accessory socket without much trouble, but it is just a basic chuffing sound.
Regards,
Paul.

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
im running it dc, thanks for the note, the bottom just says a code, 901185. so that would be the year..um.. 9085? 95? 9/11/85?.... idk

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
im running it dc, thanks for the note, the bottom just says a code, 901185. so that would be the year..um.. 9085? 95? 9/11/85?.... idk

The first and last numbers are the year of manufacture - 95 in this case
The second and third number is supposed to be the day of the month of manufacture but all codes seem to be for the first of the month - 01
The fourth and fifth numbers are supposed to be the month of manufacture - but 18 in this case, seems to rule that out!

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
The first and last numbers are the year of manufacture - 95 in this case
The second and third number is supposed to be the day of the month of manufacture but all codes seem to be for the first of the month - 01
The fourth and fifth numbers are supposed to be the month of manufacture - but 18 in this case, seems to rule that out!

Yep, there are several different versions floating around the net concerning the meaning of 2nd to 5th numbers, that's why I didn't mention them. Anyway Phillip is quite correct the loco does seem to have been made in 1995.
I've added the preceding 19 as 'i like trains kid' appears to be of the younger persuasion (Forgive me if I'm wrong.) So seeing as we are just about to enter the nineteenth year of the twenty first century, there's a chance he 'or she' may not automatically make the connection.

(Does anyone else suddenly feel really old..?)

Last edited:

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
thanks for the info! im a year older then this loco.

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
do they continue to make this loco today? and being a 95, that would explain why it is in such great shape!

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB Stainz first appeared in 1968 (I was four at the time.) Has been through multiple variations but is still going strong, Although at a glance they all look very similar, please be aware that not all parts across the years are interchangeable. NB; Many of the earlier locos are still running fine. I have several in use that are getting on for forty years old.
Regards,
Paul.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB Stainz first appeared in 1968 (I was four at the time.) Has been through multiple variations but is still going strong, Although at a glance they all look very similar, please be aware that not all parts across the years are interchangeable. NB; Many of the earlier locos are still running fine. I have several in use that are getting on for forty years old.
Regards,
Paul.

Yes, my newest Stainz variant is the Wolfgang Richter commemorative one from a couple of years ago, my oldest is a brown-cab No.1 from around 1970 or so, and they all still run just fine!

ILTK (do you have a real name we could use when we answer your posts?), does your Stainz already have the simple factory sound module with the rather "sandpapery" chuff sounds, or is it a basic silent model? I'm not sure from your first post whether it already has the basic sound which you want to improve on, or if you want to add sound from scratch to a base model.....?

Jon.

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Yes, my newest Stainz variant is the Wolfgang Richter commemorative one from a couple of years ago, my oldest is a brown-cab No.1 from around 1970 or so, and they all still run just fine!

ILTK (do you have a real name we could use when we answer your posts?), does your Stainz already have the simple factory sound module with the rather "sandpapery" chuff sounds, or is it a basic silent model? I'm not sure from your first post whether it already has the basic sound which you want to improve on, or if you want to add sound from scratch to a base model.....?

Jon.
I believe the OP is looking to add sound where there is none. Otherwise the parts mentioned would already be there, right? Perhaps I am wrong

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I believe the OP is looking to add sound where there is none. Otherwise the parts mentioned would already be there, right? Perhaps I am wrong

You're most probably right, John, it was the phrasing of the original post (specifically "....would like to hack in the sound effect parts into this loco...") that left me unsure of whether it might be a basic factory sound model that the poster wanted to improve upon, hence I felt it worth asking for clarification to help us advise in the best way. :)

Yes, a factory basic sound version would already have a speaker - but that speaker is an integral part of the all-in-one sound module in the cab roof and would need desoldering from the board or replacing with a new speaker in order to fit a separate, more sophisticated sound system.

Jon.

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
it has no sound, and i wand to add dc sound.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
it has no sound, and i wand to add dc sound.

OK, thanks for the clarification!

What level of sophistication of sound do you want? If you would be happy with a simple "chuff-chuff-chuff" effect alone, then you could get one of the basic sound units that have already been mentioned - a second hand one should not cost you very much, if you can find one that somebody has removed from a factory-sound version of a Stainz (perhaps while they were doing a full DCC installation with sound). If you want a more versatile unit that will give you much more realistic sounds, then for an easy installation you would be looking at something like a Massoth "S" sound module, which will work fine on analogue DC but will cost you somewhere in the region of $150 or so.
There are other options like the "MyLocoSound" boards, which although aimed more at battery RC installs will, I believe, work OK with track-power DC - these will be cheaper than the Massoth unit, but they are also considerably larger and would probably have to sit inside the cab.

Jon.

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
well, im looking for cheep and anything that works, and if it is the stock lgb sound that is available, thats what ill use. i want affordable and available.

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
In that case, I would look on US eBay for a second-hand unit from a sound-equipped Stainz - connecting it up should be simply a matter of two wires to the power..... does your Stainz have the circular moulding (about 2" across and 0.5" deep) inside the cab roof, which is where the sound system would be located? I think that many starter-set Stainzes used the same cab moulding, even if they didn't actually have the sound module fitted.

Although having said that, I'm not quite sure what year LGB first started to put sound-equipped locos into some starter sets....?

Jon.

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
hmm, ill have to check but i dont think there is. isnt there a chip as well? i seen some with a switch in the cab firebox and i think there is a chip as well

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
no it doesn't. i thought there would be a sensor of some sort to determine when to chuff depending on speed, sort of like the big hallers from bachmann

Paul2727

Registered
5 Jun 2018
The Cotswolds
Best answers
Country flag
Paul here again. You're almost right about the big haulers having a method of speeding up or slowing down the chuff in relation to the locos speed. However it's not a sensor persay, just a rotary trigger. (2 pick ups running on an axle with a wire across it at its simplest form.) The reason being that power for the sound card comes from a 9v battery (Fixed voltage.) rather than the track. LGB analog sound cards take their power from the motor or track, so as the voltage increases, so does the speed of both the motor and the chuff sound.
I've attached a few exploded diagrams you may find useful. Your loco is closest to the clamshell info.

Attachments

• LGB Sound and smoke stainz.pdf
    374.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 2020 clamshell (1).PDF
    268.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

i like trains kid

im a g scale noob
29 Dec 2018
Michigan
Best answers
Paul here again. You're almost right about the big haulers having a method of speeding up or slowing down the chuff in relation to the locos speed. However it's not a sensor persay, just a rotary trigger. (2 pick ups running on an axle with a wire across it at its simplest form.) The reason being that power for the sound card comes from a 9v battery (Fixed voltage.) rather than the track. LGB analog sound cards take their power from the motor or track, so as the voltage increases, so does the speed of both the motor and the chuff sound.
I've attached a few exploded diagrams you may find useful. Your loco is closest to the clamshell info.

sweetness, thanks for the info. i already love this forum!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
The most simple solution, analog, least invasive, and possibly the most flexible, imho, would be to buy a used lgb euro steam sound unit. I believe this can be crammed into the cab. These arent cheap, but are commensurately priced with other sound boards and speakers, sound is good, for what it is, but not specific or tailored to the stainz/small loco at all. Be aware that the stock, sound equipped stainz locos had generally awful sound, like scraping two pieces of sand paper together.

The sound, imho, is quite good, in ageneral way. Standing sounds, whistle at forward movement.

Downsides: exhaust will not be synchronized with wheels, and sound may begin before engine moves, or , continue after loco comes to halt. It is “loco-like” noise while it is running. If corresponding exhaust driver movement is important to you, the glass is half full, at best. Lgb sound had 2 exhaust per wheel rotation instead of 4. The stand alone unit varies. Depending on voltage, there may be 1 arbitrary speed at which the sound will seem synchronized.

Otoh, its self contained, and, can later be shifted to another car and plugged into the back of the loco. No cutting, wiring, costly extra parts. Its an effortless solution, to some extent.

Fwiw, i have always desired an “uber” stainz, firebox light, synchronized smoke and exhaust, constantlighting. But, there is little room in a stainz.

Id say this project depends on your sense of adventure, budget, and skills.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user