Can I run an Anologue Loco & a DCC Loco at the Same Time?

newboydave

G scale trains - no surprise there then!</br></br>
24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
I am currently in a "transition mode" having one loco that is fully DCC using the Aristocraft/Crest "Revolution" controller sysyem, and with "Pheonix" sound - another loco which is DCC ready, but to which I have yet to fit the decoder and sound etc for the "Revolution" system.

So I can continue to run trains, in the short term, can I operate BOTH loco's as they are, on the same layout, or would this cause damage to either or both?

Basic question maybe, but as a newbie, Iv'e no idea.

Your help would be much appreciated.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I had the understanding that the "Revolution" is not DCC but DC based - the track has a constant DC voltage and the receiver regulates that to the loco's motors and lights as requested by the transmitter.

I do not think that running both at the same time would be feasible as the "non revolutionised" loco would need variable DC and the "revolutionised" loco needs a constant supply.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Not too certain bout the crest revolution . But on lgb Mts there is provision to do that. It's not a true analogue & and the motors whistle with the frequency.Some sound sytems react funnily

annieshalt

garden railways
24 Oct 2009
CLEVELAND
Best answers
on mts system i regularly run one analogue and up to 3 chiped locos with no problems.

newboydave

G scale trains - no surprise there then!</br></br>
24 Oct 2009
Sale, Cheshire, UK.
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for that. I think your right!! The instructions with the Revolution say to turn up your track power controller to max, which would tend to support what you say.

Looks like I'll have to accelerate my plans to install the "Revolution" gubbins to the Anologue loco, and then run both locos. Still, Iv'e got the option of running either of the loco's separately, until the upgrade is completed.

Thanks for the assistance.