Cab windscreens

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone make front and rear cab windscreens for the Bachmann/Lilliputian trams? I think it would completely transform the model.

Cheers

Martin

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I think I've seen something scratch built by a forum member?

Maybe Dunnyrail....

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone make front and rear cab windscreens for the Bachmann/Lilliputian trams? I think it would completely transform the model.

Cheers

Martin
Yes they do, 3D printed ones; they are a snap fit for LGB, will need new dashplates for other makes
Yes they do give the car a different look - very smart

Now you are going to ask where I got them...and the answer is *cringe* I have forgotten, it was over 2 years ago.

If anyone knows where they came from I would love to know

McBearUK

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes they do, 3D printed ones; they are a snap fit for LGB, will need new dashplates for other makes
Yes they do give the car a different look - very smart

Now you are going to ask where I got them...and the answer is *cringe* I have forgotten, it was over 2 years ago.

If anyone knows where they came from I would love to know

McBearUK
Fancy forgetting that! Lol. Never mind hopefully, someone will remember…

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Fancy forgetting that! Lol. Never mind hopefully, someone will remember…

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
My 3D CAD and printing friend is going to draw something up for me, I'll post here once I have something.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone make front and rear cab windscreens for the Bachmann/Lilliputian trams
Don't get your hopes up, because (despite their website still being there) I think they are no longer trading, but this (at a price!) would seem to be what you had in mind . . .

1693896263883.png1693896296397.png1693896689089.png

Cheers

David

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I would suggest that it would be quite possible to make that out of wood. As per the Occre kits, make a top, middle and bottom former, then plank it up to give the shape, and make some windows from plasticard strip. The roof section could be made from some balsa blocks, sanded and filled to give the required shape.

I would personally speed the job along by laser cutting the components but it could all be done with hand tools.

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
If I was making a one off I would scratch fabricate, as I'll be wanting more than one and others have indicated an interest I have asked my modelling colleague to assist.

Yes I believe Light Rail Products has ceased trading.

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
My 3D CAD and printing friend is going to draw something up for me, I'll post here once I have something.
Sounding promising David. I look forward to the results.

Cheers

Martin

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Don't get your hopes up, because (despite their website still being there) I think they are no longer trading, but this (at a price!) would seem to be what you had in mind . . .

View attachment 318124View attachment 318125View attachment 318127

Cheers

David
At those prices I’m not surprised they’ve stopped trading…it’s exactly what I had in mind and it certainly makes a huge difference to the looks of the tram.

Cheers

Martin

Last edited:

3 minutes of fame

3d printing, electronics and trams
14 Dec 2020
Lincolnshire
www.mgnr.uk
Best answers
Country flag
It would all be nice and easy to print on a large size resin printer. No more than £10 in materials and running costs to make each end, but I guess making these in resin would have been more expensive if volumes were not huge.

Reactions: 1 user

Mohawk Valley

Registered
11 Feb 2023
Coventry UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, at around that price they would sell well, I’d have a dozen at least…(future planning). I suppose as a business and probably cast resin, the price would be high.

Cheers

Martin

DafyddElvy

10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, at around that price they would sell well, I’d have a dozen at least…(future planning). I suppose as a business and probably cast resin, the price would be high.

Cheers

Martin
I don't know how much they would cost, but I do know his machine gives that information once you upload the cost per litre of the raw material etc.

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag

View attachment 318124View attachment 318125View attachment 318127

Cheers

David
That conversion kit was very attractive, but the price was ridiculous - so I never bought one!

The window insert panels I am talking about were on fleabay,
They are moulded in a slightly springy white plastic and clip on to the top of the dashplate of an LGB 'old timer' 4 wheel car, they then clip under the roof. I have one set on an LGB car and one set put away in a ''bits to make an interurban car out of one of those cheapo German bogie cars' box. I will try to dig one out and photo it.

tramwayknowledge

Tramway Modelling
22 Oct 2011
Fife
Best answers
Country flag
I had 3 packets delivered at lunch-time today.

Each packet containe a different pair of tramcar windscreens from Martin.

To say that I am pleased would be an understatement. The units are beautifully finished - no rubbing down required here !

I am going to spend a happy evening taking tramcars down from my 'Tuit' shelf and preparing notes as to which tramcar gets which pair of screens.
As I work through my stack of cars and bodies I am sure I will be contacting Martin for more windscreens.

To those of you thinking of buying these products I would say ''GO FOR IT, YOU WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED''

Now, if I can persuade Martin to produce replacement sidewalls for the car to give more British 3 window sides I will be a happy tramcar builder.

I must point out that I have NO CONNECTION WITH MARTIN OR HIS BUSINESS. I am just a very happy customer.