CAB FORWARD

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have had my C/F nearly two years now. Time flys!
Generally it has been an impressive loco to drive although it needs both burners to achieve performance that you would expect from such a large and heavy machine. Here lies a little frustration as one of the burners has had the tendency to go out dropping the pressure to around 35psi when it really needs a good 60. Safety valves will blow at about 70.
I have always made it a practice to clean the burner jets in gas fired engines but removing them from the cab of a Cab Forward is a bit of a challenge. It is a very full cab with lots of plumbing. Two regulaters, a pressure gauge each side, lubricater, boiler cap for filing, reverser plus a fair amount of pipework assocsiated with the bypass.
Anyway needs must and after much fiddling with a pair of plyers in each hand managed to remove it, (and ofcourse) replace after cleaning. Soak in surgical spirit for an hour then power butane through the jets in each direction.
Judge the results please by checking this youtube video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJaJGk8y-As

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I've said once I'll say it again! you big tease you Trevor!!! What a fantastic machine with all those rods and motion flailing around!!

On the gas jet front if it plugs up that regularly I would suggest pulling the gas tank and giving it a good flush out with vinegar and water.........................

Hofabooz

Registered
22 Dec 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Trevor

That looks stunning thanks for posting the video

Regards

Mark

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
On the gas jet front if it plugs up that regularly I would suggest pulling the gas tank and giving it a good flush out with vinegar and water.........................

Good advice. I will keep an eye on that! Trevor

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice Trevor:love:

taperpin

Registered
12 Dec 2009
Best answers
Trevor,
Acouple of things to check.
[1] ifits the flue with the steam pipe going through. reshape the steam pipe to be clear and down beside the burner..you do not want the flame impinging on the pipe..

[2] obtain s few spre jets from Accucraft and swop one at atime out.. they can have the orifice drilled off line axially the jet make look ok ,but the gas air stream is distorted inside the burner and will flutter and go out.

Gordon.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Nice engine Trevor.I've mentioned on here a few times,if the jets get clogged try filling the gas tank with the gas valve open,the extra pressure from the gas can, usually clears the jet and saves removing it.Also clean the gas tank.