Bulkeley Station revamped

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Having detailed Beeston Market, Beeston Castle and Peckforton stations, I've now moved further Down the line to Bulkeley.
bulkeley before.jpg

The main problem with the station from a modelling point of view was that its two sidings were to the front of the station - ie on the viewing side. Whilst this made shunting easier, it meant that it wasn't possible to model any lineside industries on the sidings - there simply wasn't room! So, I bit the bullet and decided to revise the layout to add a new siding to the rear of the raised bed, thereby providing an opportunity for a half relief building to be positioned behind it.
bulkeley after.jpg

So, I set to work, and after a bit of fettling, the layout has been revamped.
Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

For more detail see - https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... ation.html

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
You'll remember that the new siding at the front of Bulkeley was left in a somewhat precarious state:
DSCN0283.JPG

Time for a bit of landscaping. First of all the sandstone cladding was removed from the old wall - leaving the siding in an even more precarious position.
DSCN0287.JPG

Then a new wall was constructed. I decided it was far too complicated to try demolishing the old wall.
IMG_9659.JPG

The space between old and new was then filled with soil. Fortunately, I'd just dug a soakaway for the guttering from the new workshop and so had almost exactly the right amount of soil to spare - coincidence, rather than careful planning!
IMG_9704.JPG

IMG_9705.JPG

I am now in the process of cladding the new wall with sandstone. Unfortunately, Storm Ciara intervened and so I've not been able to finish that job.
IMG_9716.JPG

IMG_9712.JPG

Apologies for the blurriness of some photos - but it was starting to get dark when I took them.

Next job will be planting the new bed and maybe thinking about some sort of facilities for the new siding.....

Rik

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Sneaky bit of garden encroachment there, Rik :clap::clap::clap::clap:

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

Northsider

Modelling the Northern half of the Isle of Man
3 May 2012
Hertfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
I hope the bone works is downwind of the house! Knacker's yards and rendering plants were always unpopular additions to a town. In our oil-based and synthetic world we forget just how much used to be made using products derived from boling up the unspeakable bits of Dobbin and Daisy...

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Room for another couple of sidings there, well done!

Paul

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I hope the bone works is downwind of the house! Knacker's yards and rendering plants were always unpopular additions to a town. In our oil-based and synthetic world we forget just how much used to be made using products derived from boling up the unspeakable bits of Dobbin and Daisy...
Yep, there were a few windmills on the North Walsham and Dilham Canal that were bone mills - apparently a pretty wiffy occupation, but then where else would you have got your ice cream in them days - first form of gelatin came from ground bone :oops:

The other thing I read many eons ago was that on your average farm, approx 20% of the land / produce went into feeding the horses to work the land :eek:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The other thing I read many eons ago was that on your average farm, approx 20% of the land / produce went into feeding the horses to work the land :eek:

Ah! but you could recycle 100% of their output, back into the land! :)

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
A local resident who used to live opposite the Boneworks near where my railway would have been hypothetically located recalls ....

The stench from the Boneworks – don’t mention it – I can smell it now. It always smelled, our bungalow was right opposite – it was worse in the summer months. There was a big manure heap with elephant manure from the zoo. It used to come in off the railway and was brought by a horse and cart and was dumped right in front of our bungalow. The bones came in the same way and they were all piled up.

Rik

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
A local resident who used to live opposite the Boneworks near where my railway would have been hypothetically located recalls ....

The stench from the Boneworks – don’t mention it – I can smell it now. It always smelled, our bungalow was right opposite – it was worse in the summer months. There was a big manure heap with elephant manure from the zoo. It used to come in off the railway and was brought by a horse and cart and was dumped right in front of our bungalow. The bones came in the same way and they were all piled up.

Rik
Talking of elephants, Bertram Mills Circus had some special elephant carriages with heavy duty springs, and the elephants learned to sway in time with the motion of the train. However, when the train was shunted into the sidings (near Ascot) the special wagons would continue swaying from side to side for some long time ............. ;);)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Talking of elephants, Bertram Mills Circus had some special elephant carriages with heavy duty springs, and the elephants learned to sway in time with the motion of the train. However, when the train was shunted into the sidings (near Ascot) the special wagons would continue swaying from side to side for some long time ............. ;);)
My Dad was a Guard on the line when the Circus Train arrived at Wembley Hill Station renamed Complex in 1978. Hard to believe it now but there were a few sidings for this sort of thing. Dad recalled the Elephant Trunks swaying out of the side of the Train presumably looking for a bun or two.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, the elephant in the room of thread drift

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
when we startet ranching (about 40 years ago) for the first three years we could afford no tractor - horses only.
for six working horses we had one hektar (two and a half acre) of grasland, plus half a hektar of millet for each.
producing an yearly average of 10,000 kilograms peanuts and about the same of castor beans on 15 hektar, as well as up to 30 head of beefcattle on bushland.