Building an Interurban

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I'd like to build an interurban passenger trolley using a Bachmann coach. Whose power trucks would work best ?

Perhaps something along these lines.

irm-NorthShore-090311-02.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
I'd like to build an interurban passenger trolley using a Bachmann coach. Whose power trucks would work best ?

Perhaps something along these lines.

View attachment 241753
Try G bits They sell hartland bogies with side frames pretty close to the Bachmann bogies
My own interurban is fitted with these
It is also based on a Bachmann coachIMG_5536.JPG

Reactions: 4 users

musket the dog

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Leicester
nlrr.webs.com
Best answers
I can second G-bits, used them a couple of times now. Very helpful and easy to order from :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
G-bits is UK and Madman is normally in the USA. Anyway, forget the power trucks for the moment, 'cos there used to be a place that produced interurban resin ends for Bachmann coaches - can't remember the name just now, but they did quite a few trolley bits.

Hartland are probably easiest for power bogies in the US :nod::nod:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Or a USA Trains NW2 block?

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
G-bits is UK and Madman is normally in the USA. Anyway, forget the power trucks for the moment, 'cos there used to be a place that produced interurban resin ends for Bachmann coaches - can't remember the name just now, but they did quite a few trolley bits.

Hartland are probably easiest for power bogies in the US :nod::nod:

The company was Light Rail Products and they seem to be defunct. Quite a few buts of useful info on this thread:
Bachmann trolley conversion. - myLargescale.com > Community > Forums

P.S. Hartland make a very nice Interurban.

attachment.php

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
A few years ago, when I motorized a couple of bachmann Jackson Sharpe coaches (passenger and a combine) to make 'invisible' helpers for my steam locos on my heavy gradients, I utilised USA Trains '44 tonner' bogies as these where practically bang on for wheel base and had the weight and power that I needed (the HLW are good but a bit lightweight).
I also used Aristocraft 'centrecab' bogies to do the same for Bachmann Stockcars as the wheelbase again was almost the same as the Bachmann bogie.

Here is the thread for the Combine motorising:
Motorising a Bachmann combine to make a 'helper' - G Scale Central

And for the info, the Stock car process:
Motorising of some rolling stock to 'help' weak locos up slopes. - G Scale Central

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
If they're available

I ordered two replacement powered trucks for my USA Trains center cab 44 ton switcher last year. I specifically asked for the non-traction tired variety. I'd rather have wheel slip than risk damage to the USA, not so well designed axles.

David4870

Registered
8 Dec 2018
London NW7
Best answers
Any tips on creating outdoor street track?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Any tips on creating outdoor street track?

At one point I had a trolley line, albeit short, on my garden railway. I laid track on 1 1/2" thick concrete slabs, placed track on them, then covered it all with latex floor leveler. The floor leveler is used in construction to smooth out uneven floors prior to setting new tile, carpeting or vinyl tile.

You can see it here;

David4870

Registered
8 Dec 2018
London NW7
Best answers
At one point I had a trolley line, albeit short, on my garden railway. I laid track on 1 1/2" thick concrete slabs, placed track on them, then covered it all with latex floor leveler. The floor leveler is used in construction to smooth out uneven floors prior to setting new tile, carpeting or vinyl tile.

You can see it here;

Delightful. Thanks MM. Ah floor leveller - you can tell I'm a DIY no-hoper! Once had a short double track street section using mortar, from which I gouged out the flange gap. But alas points/turnouts at this scale need hand building I fear.

Reactions: 1 user