Building A Simple, Small Loco Battery Conversion

seigezapf

Registered
28 Oct 2015
Southern Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve been experimenting with trying to come up with a small, simple battery system to fit into some small locomotives (e.g. LGB 2063) that I have.

I am using a Spektrum DX5e transmitter and Orange DSM2 receiver.

For the motor I am using a Pololu 18v15 Simple High Power Motor Controller. For power, a Tenergy 11.1v Li-ion battery. The motor controller connects to the "Throttle" port on the DSM2 and supplies 5v from a built in BEC.

I wanted simple motor sounds, so I am using an ITT sound board. The board is powered by the same battery with a Turnigy Receiver Controlled On/Off switch spliced into the positive power wire. The Turnigy is connected to the "Gear" port on the DSM2 and controlled by the channel 5 switch on the transmitter.

When I actually install it I will include a main power on/off switch, lighting, and charging jack. I also am deciding on speaker type and placement, though I am leaning toward placing it under the cab roof.

So far the system works nicely and is very small.

Here is a rough diagram (Turnigy switch labelled "TEN").

So this is a work in progress. I can post the installation when I get that far.

Craig

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
On this side of the pond I use Deltang transmitter and receiver. The receiver is a receiver and controller in one which is useful and costs £32 or 48 dollars. The multi tx I use costs £58 but a single unit it kit form costs £21 or 32 dollars. I think these are pretty reasonable prices for radio control especially when I can control 12 receivers from one transmitter (if you buy the expensive transmitter). For sound I have used the mylocosound board which costs £49 or 79 dollars. I like their latest steam sound a lot but did am not impressed with the diesel sound, especially the horn.
I use rechargeable AA or AAA batteries when on special offer from Maplin.
This gives me full radio control without huge expense.

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
On this side of the pond I use Deltang transmitter and receiver. The receiver is a receiver and controller in one which is useful and costs £32 or 48 dollars. The multi tx I use costs £58 but a single unit it kit form costs £21 or 32 dollars. I think these are pretty reasonable prices for radio control especially when I can control 12 receivers from one transmitter (if you buy the expensive transmitter).

Technically You can control more than 12 receivers, as you can link more than one receiver to the same channel, but of course you can't control more than 12 simultaneously.

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
Technically You can control more than 12 receivers, as you can link more than one receiver to the same channel, but of course you can't control more than 12 simultaneously.
Technically, yes, but your brain bursts into flames if you try it!!!

Reactions: 2 users

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I have caused big crashes just running three at the same time!

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the Spektrum transmitter can control as many locos as you have, one at a time. With the "G Scale Graphics" receivers, you can switch channels. While the first train is running, switch to channel 2. The first train continues on it's merry way, un-phased. Now you have control of the second train. You can turn the transmitter off and the trains will still continue to run un-affected.

The only issue I have with the Spektrum transmitter, is it's size. It really requires two hands to operate it. I need one hand to scratch my head.....:D

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just a pity no-one has come up with a 'broadcast' "ALL STOP", which would do the same as the red 'stop' key on a DCC handset..

seigezapf

Registered
28 Oct 2015
Southern Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
Good luck with the sale Madman. That sounds like a great set-up. I have tried G-Scale Graphics, but in this case was looking for something smaller and simpler. Also, I am new to R/C control of locomotives and the info on more sophisticated systems was a bit daunting, though I did just purchase an Aristo Evolution for my larger locomotives. I was hoping that starting with a basic system would help me to learn more about this stuff.

I do think that running one loco at a time is all that is possible using the simple system I am building. I have a small outdoor layout, so wouldn't be running a whole lot at a time anyway.

I had not heard of Deltang Chris. Thanks. That sounds very interesting. I'll check it out and see if it is available here. I chose Li-ion PCB batteries because of the fairly compact size compared to available voltage and capacity. Did you make power packs by soldering tabs to the ends of the AAA batteries? The rechargeable (Ni-MH) AAA batteries I have (Enerloop) are 1.2 volts and 750 mAh. So it would take 10 to make 12v pack. I think it would still be 750 mAh, but am not sure. The 11.1v Li-ion battery is 2800 mAh, but, for sure, a lot more expensive than rechargeable AAA batteries.

I have purchased some 3.7v single Li-ion batteries and have a 4 battery holder to make a 14.8v pack. It, however, is a bit large for smaller locomotives. It's more appropriate for a tender or trailing car.

I read your Simple Motor Control post GAP. Thank you for the suggestions. I had planned on a DPDT switch to separate power from charging. For the LED's did you have to put a resistor in the LED lines and does the LED voltage matter when hooked up directly? I see there are 4-6v LEDs and 12-14v ones. I don't know for sure what voltage the LEDs in my locomotives are, but I imagine the voltage is controlled though the stock circuit board anyway.

Craig

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I use either 2000 mah AA batteries or 1000 mah AAA batteries. I find even the AAAs will run continuously for 2 to 4 hours (depending on load) with a Bachmann 0-4-0 diesel. I use the plasic battery holders and put them wherever I can fin space. My 0-4-0 had 10 AAAs and the radio control receiver/motor controller under the hood. My 2-4-2 steamer has 4 in each water tank and 2 in the cab.The great thing about individual batteries is that you can place them in odd corners and then just string them all together. One little but important point - don't forget to put a fuse in line right by the battery.

Deltang can do the same as Spektrum. I bind all of my loco receivers to position 12 as well as to an individual one (1 to 11). This means when I set the control knob to zero and move to selector to 12 everything stops.
I'm thinking of changing my Budd railcars to battery power and radio control over the winter. If I do they will have a position each and I will also bind them both to another position so they can work independently or coupled together.
It fits into the hand nicely and has a centre off control knob. The top left hand knob is the loco selector and the right hand is inertia control. My only criticism is that it could do with markings but then I haven't felt the need to add any so it can't be a big issue.
deltangtx.jpg

Last edited:

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
I considered using standard 3 volt LEDs but decided it would be simpler to buy some 12 volt ones and wire them straight to the receiver card.
I replaced the rather over-large steamer old timer style lamp with a simple box.
Reverse has one red LED
dav01.jpg

And forward has two white LEDs
dav02.jpg

It did say super bright on the packet!
dav03.jpg

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Just a pity no-one has come up with a 'broadcast' "ALL STOP", which would do the same as the red 'stop' key on a DCC handset..

That would be fun at the model aircraft show!!!!

Reactions: 1 users

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use either 2000 mah AA batteries or 1000 mah AAA batteries. I find even the AAAs will run continuously for 2 to 4 hours (depending on load) with a Bachmann 0-4-0 diesel. I use the plasic battery holders and put them wherever I can fin space. My 0-4-0 had 10 AAAs and the radio control receiver/motor controller under the hood. My 2-4-2 steamer has 4 in each water tank and 2 in the cab.The great thing about individual batteries is that you can place them in odd corners and then just string them all together. One little but important point - don't forget to put a fuse in line right by the battery.

Deltang can do the same as Spektrum. I bind all of my loco receivers to position 12 as well as to an individual one (1 to 11). This means when I set the control knob to zero and move to selector to 12 everything stops.
I'm thinking of changing my Budd railcars to battery power and radio control over the winter. If I do they will have a position each and I will also bind them both to another position so they can work independently or coupled together.
It fits into the hand nicely and has a centre off control knob. The top left hand knob is the loco selector and the right hand is inertia control. My only criticism is that it could do with markings but then I haven't felt the need to add any so it can't be a big issue.
View attachment 204556

So you have 12 channels to control 12 locos ?

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I considered using standard 3 volt LEDs but decided it would be simpler to buy some 12 volt ones and wire them straight to the receiver card.
I replaced the rather over-large steamer old timer style lamp with a simple box.
Reverse has one red LED
View attachment 204558

And forward has two white LEDs
View attachment 204557

It did say super bright on the packet!
View attachment 204559

I like what you did with the headlights ! I never thought of that. I just converted one of my Davenports to R/C, but I placed the LED headlight just above the radiator. I had to come up with a cover plate for the holes left on the hood after I removed the original headlight and holding bracket.

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
So you have 12 channels to control 12 locos ?
Yes, or more as Gareth said. I have bound position 12 to all receivers to create an "all stop" option. I will probably have a position for both RDCs so in practice I can only have 10 locos. As I don't currently plan to have more than 9 battery radio controlled locos I'm happy.
The receivers can be bound to as many transmitter positions as you want and of course you can bind many receivers to each transmitter position if you want. Plenty of opportunity to get very confused. One thing you learn very quickly is to make sure all locos other than the one to be bound are switched off before starting the bind process.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
That's nice ! So you can literally run 12 locos at the same time, controlling one at a time, on your layout ?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Now that's clever! Why didn't I think of that?
Thanks. That's a very useful bit of info. I don't tend to run more than three locos at once, and usually have no more than two on the move at any one time, but being able to do an emergency stop will be very handy. Especially when I have visitors.

Rik

seigezapf

Registered
28 Oct 2015
Southern Colorado
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Chris. Very helpful information. I had not thought about splitting up battery holders. I am now.

Craig

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just found out that something has changed on the deltang receivers and now they will only bind to one channel. When I set things up last January I bound everything to position 12 plus another position. Recently I had all my receivers and transmitter upgraded to the latest software and now each receiver will only bind to one channel.

Thanks Rik for spotting this.