27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
Folks,

I'm wondering how you folks are lighting your buffer stops? I've acquired a bunch of red bulbs that I'd like to use (I know it's not prototypical but I like the aesthetic). I'm wondering if you've got any tips on doing this.

Options I can see:
  • The LGB 50520 (buffer stop lantern) given there are 10 buffers on the layout and that's going to add up (eat £100) which seems a lot.
  • Mount the bulb to a sprue left over from a Pola G kit so it's a sort of slightly raise pole.
  • Something 3D printed (I don't have a 3D printer)
  • Something else...

I had a search around the forum but couldn't really find anything (although found some interested threads from Dunny on buffers generally :D )

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
I've acquired a bunch of red bulbs that I'd like to use (I know it's not prototypical but I like the aesthetic).
Something 3D printed (I don't have a 3D printer)
Buffer Stop Signal Lamp.jpg

3D Buffer Stop Lamp Housing.JPG

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Folks,

I'm wondering how you folks are lighting your buffer stops? I've acquired a bunch of red bulbs that I'd like to use (I know it's not prototypical but I like the aesthetic). I'm wondering if you've got any tips on doing this.

Options I can see:
  • The LGB 50520 (buffer stop lantern) given there are 10 buffers on the layout and that's going to add up (eat £100) which seems a lot.
  • Mount the bulb to a sprue left over from a Pola G kit so it's a sort of slightly raise pole.
  • Something 3D printed (I don't have a 3D printer)
  • Something else...

I had a search around the forum but couldn't really find anything (although found some interested threads from Dunny on buffers generally :D )
Just had a look at German Buffer Stops and not much of relevance, looks like your spruce option may be the way to go. Short length drilled through for the wire with led plonked in. Cheep enough to do and it is your railway, if you are happy that is the way to go. Plus you will have made it yourself.

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The Claptowte Railway does not have working lights on its buffer stops, but they are all equipped with dummy reflective lamps. You can click on the attached link to see how I altered them.
The Claptowte Railway - One For You Old Buffers

dig 200711008.JPG

David

Cobalt6700

Registered
2 Jul 2020
UK - Oxfordshire
Best answers
Country flag
curtis curtis I am about to 3D print some buffer stop lights - did you have a design in mind?

I would be happy to print some extra for postage money :)

Reactions: 1 user

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
curtis curtis I am about to 3D print some buffer stop lights - did you have a design in mind?

I would be happy to print some extra for postage money :)
I'm not that creative in this regard. I had a quick scout on Thingyverse but couldn't find anything - something like the LGB ones would would work. I really appreciate the offer and would be more than happy of offer post + money to cover the materials!

However, I've been somewhat inspired by the images from The Shed and David. Let me have a think and I'll see what monstrosity I can pull together myself. Stay tuned :)

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I brought some cheap LED lights for the buffers on my Portable layout, Hardyard. These came from Glendale Junction, before the proprietors retired.

They are fitted to cut down Peco Buffers, I used these as they have a small footprint and I needed to save as much space as possible....

65340_f3ac51ac8c276bd9a4514ccb7bff15fa.png

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
What country are you modelling The buffer stops on?

In the uk they come in a variety of shapes, from old fashioned oil lamps to much more modern types.

to power the light could you not just feed straight from the DCC rails, obviously with a suitable resistor

Dan

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of thoughts.

i have had the lgb standard bulbs melt a buffer lantern housings, and semaphores….(all bought used)……soooo…its a consideration…these lamp housings/lanterns are available, but arent that cheap. i never run lamps at max voltage.

But brilliance is nice, and leds can provide this. Unfortunately leds are not omnidirectional and may need to be pointed in the direction of a lens in certain circumstances, when sanding the surface doesnt provide adequate light diffusion.

i too now use leds, red, on installed buffers because i too like the look.

and…..sheepishly…i admit that.i have used small alligator clips attached to the buffer light wires, under the buffer block to the track….(i run analog). Obviously this does not provide constant lighting when i stop my trains, but for remote sidings, its a half a$$ but very convenient option. If you simply ‘run’ its fine. If you run dcc, its perfect.

as for housings…i have used stick ball point pen caps, cut, a ubiquitous barrel style lamp housing. you can even add a top visor with careful cutting if youre good.

another option is large square ‘u’ channel styrene strips, cobble together a box and lid…

Last edited:

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not being able to 3D print or inclined to make anything fancy, my buffer stops have a simple cube made of black plasticard, with a red LED inside and a washer and bit of sprue for embellishment (lower right of photo).
buffer_lamp_rhs.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Via
Great looking stone façade
nice street lamps too!

curtis

Registered
27 Nov 2018
Jersey
Country
Jersey
hsbagardenrailway.com
Best answers
Country flag
What country are you modelling The buffer stops on?

In the uk they come in a variety of shapes, from old fashioned oil lamps to much more modern types.

to power the light could you not just feed straight from the DCC rails, obviously with a suitable resistor

Dan
Vaguely German / Austrian with a bit of Swiss. But very loosely. Ours is a fictional railway.

I think you're right though. From what has been shared in this thread there is a lot of flexibility. As long as it sets the vibe of "crap, better stop the loco" I'm probably in the right zone for the aesthetic.

In terms of bulbs - I've got some small 6v incandescent as well as the small and normal sized LEDs so I've got flexibility. I can also install a buck converter and run a string of buffer lights off the same connection.

I may play around with the square tubing I have - seems to have worked well above!

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I get the LGB red bulbs ( 5 volt ones) and these were on sale for 10 cents apiece (10 pack for $1.00 US). I soak them in alcohol and the red just peels off.