"Budget" Steam Options

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi All,

I have a Lady Anne from Roundhouse and it is the bit of my collection that brings me the most pleasure by far being my only live steamer. I would like to expand my collection (when funds allow so possibly ages, but I enjoy doing the research!) but at very most it's going to be c. £2000.

I know the RH and Accucraft UK ranges. Is that really it for this budget? I suppose the VoR appeals the most from those stable. Happy to consider secondhand... the beefier and more prototypical the better but not too fussy... just interested if I am missing some other companies.

Thanks...

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
Sadly LS is expensive by the very nature of its Low Volume sales + labour intensive manufacturing

During the Golden Years of Live steam ..... early 70s to late 90s there were a few other manufacturers

who have entered the market, Such as SteamCraft Southport & Model & Miniature Manufacturing Rochdale, and of course Merlin Locomotive works Kendal then Llanfair Ceareinion

but from what I am aware there is only RH & Accucraft to choose from these days, unless of course you go Std Gauge and consider ASTER but then the budget would be more like £5K

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
Finescale do some lovely locos- mostly little Hunslets- and come within the £2k budget- but delivery is a loonnnnggg time- up to several years.

TME are too expensive and I've heard Wrightscale locos, while very nice to look at, maybe don't run as well as they look.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
wpandyr said:
There are also a lot of Regner scale models of prototypes within your budget range;

http://www.regner-dampftechnik.de/bestellung/gesamtkatalog.php < Link To http://www.regner-dampfte...lung/gesamtkatalog.php

Yep, good quality live steamers throughout their range.

fb65add290044c0e87f813dd856b3b6f.jpg

Kits are available, but I've heard that they can be a bit of a challenge.
U.K. agent is Martin's Models http://www.gardenrailways.co.uk/. Best to phone, write or contact him at shows apparently.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks chaps.... I'm just looking through suggested sites...

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
As other people have said, the options are most Roundhouse and Accucraft. There are several other options, most of which involve a long wait, but if going secondhand then be aware that here be dragons. Locomotives are subjected to various levels of care and maintenance and, unless sure of one's ground, it is best to purchase via a reputable dealer.

Simon Whenmouth of Anything Narrow Gauge/Imp Models in the South East provides secondhand locomotives that are thoroughly checked before sale and serviced if required.

At your budget then have you considered a live steam coal fired kit? DJB Engineering provide a wing tank kit with Roundhouse working parts and Hackworth valve gear. I have one of these on order and already have one of the original coal fired Edrigs ? and the latter is my favourite locomotive to run.

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
No coal firing is very attractive but I fear I am too much of a beginner....

JoelB

Registered
19 Feb 2010
New England
Best answers
I might point out that Accucraft models of the Denver & Rio Grande Western engines are quite large models, either the C-19 or C-21 will dwarf a Lady Anne and may foul lineside features such as point levers. UK buyers also appear (to me, anyway) to pay a premium for these models, above and beyond the nasty VAT, so I'm not certain that they'd fall in a "budget" category.

Regner's also been mentioned -- they do make more "conventional" models, not just the vertical-boilered machines. Herrmann (http://www.echtdampfwelt.de/ < Link To www.echtdampfwelt.de) have a similar range.

Then again, I'd imagine that few of those reading this in the UK would be exactly keen on anything German, right about now... :-((

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks again for the thoughts chaps... yes Joel- Germany not my favroutie topic for a couple of days!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
you know 
i have found that buying second hand can often provide a good buy-if you're careful-and patient-and informed

since roundhouse has a great parts and service dept -id tend to consider these engines used-they are by far my favorite

and i might add

altho certainly not beefy compared to a roundhouse

there are many LGB frank s's offered, some NOS-
still very affordable even when sold as new

i have been very very happy with this engine and they are so simple even i can figure them out-and aster still has parts-nothing cheap or skimpy about them-delightfully easy and straightforward-even if you know nothing about the intricacies and technology of live steam-easy easy to add RC-did it myself with no help and no experience ( i know this simplicity is what some dont like about the model)  

and they match perfectly with LGB stock  

these are relatively inexpensive-

perhap most importantly they are very forgiving of  track and radius-just like an LGB electric engine 

easy to transport

-and once you get the hang of fueling and lighting-they are just about as easy as an off/on switch-

a bit of patience and im certain you can find one in new condition for well under your budget if you decide you might like one

in any event be patient and look-you will eventually find what you like at a price you like

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks steve i think patience is very good advice

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
That's a very good price, the coaches weren't cheap and the loco was a lot more than that new!

The coaches are great, built on brick outhouse principles- no twee wooden four wheelers here!