Budget Johnson bars - a basic scratchbuilding project

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Like a lot of you, I'm addicted to pretty little fiddly bits. Unfortunately, I can't always afford what I need, or happen to have any of a single item left when I need it. Today was one of those.

I didn't have any of these -
ozarkbar.gif

But I did have these -
P1190001.jpg

A loop coupler minus the hook (probably LGB) plus some 2 mm Plastruct square stock and a bit of plastic strip.

Step 1: using a razor saw remove everything from the loop that doesn't resemble a quadrant -- I cut away about 1/2 the thickness, and the tang, then squared up the sides and top (was front).
Step 2: cut the detent notches (a cut off disc in a Dremel works pretty well, if you're fairly steady and have a light touch, otherwise use a needle file.

It should now look something like this -
P1190002.jpg

Step 3: Cut a bit of the 2mm stock about 1-1/2" long (about 3 scale feet), then using a hobby knife and sandpaper round one end for a handgrip. Glue it in place on your quadrant, and allow time for the glue to dry, or at least "soft" set.
P1190003.jpg

Step 3: Using the strip stock make the detent and latch lever, glue in place. Then add a bit of thin jewelry wire (about 24ga) for the pull rod.
P1190004.jpg

Step 4: (optional) if you prefer a double quadrant, narrow the other bit of curved loop, then space it outward with a few bits of the 2mm stock
P1190005.jpg

There you go... No, they aren't as pretty as Ozark's, but they only cost a few cents each. They're also fairly quick to make, it took me about 20 minutes to construct these two. You can also make the bars about 2-1/2" long (5 feet) for switch levers to build that detailed interlocking tower you always wanted!

And you can tell all the guys who say loop couplers are "useless" that they're wrong! :rofl: