Budget buildings

AddictiveBiscuit

Steam Locos, Armoured Vehicles and Aviation
13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
Best answers
So I've just moved in to my first house, unfortunately its terraced with a lane at the back and it's easy to look in the back garden, and I'm a bit cautious as I think they're is a few characters about who will nick anything , which has resulted in me screwing all the track down. And I think I'm going to avoid using my Pola buildings, unless I screwed or stuck them down? I'm not one for scratch building so I'm just wondering if there is many cheapo alternatives about? As you can see I've got quite a big space on the return loop that wants filling! Just looking for a few ideas. I've also got space for where a engine shed could go, but I'm reluctant to use my Pola one.. Maybe I'm worrying to much!

1589377137601.png

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe you should check out the Cain Howie concrete buildings....

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Where you can I would think about filling the buildings with concrete, make them so heavy not worth taking. Then that leaves just the Loco Shed, only one building to take out would not be too onerous. I would also think about clamping the track, means that it is even harder to remove. Also lights that come on with access at night are a pretty good deterrent so long as they only activate when anyone is in the garden and if you can run to it CCTV systems are another good deterrent, much more affordable these days.

AddictiveBiscuit

Steam Locos, Armoured Vehicles and Aviation
13 Apr 2015
North Lincolnshire
Best answers
Where you can I would think about filling the buildings with concrete, make them so heavy not worth taking. Then that leaves just the Loco Shed, only one building to take out would not be too onerous. I would also think about clamping the track, means that it is even harder to remove. Also lights that come on with access at night are a pretty good deterrent so long as they only activate when anyone is in the garden and if you can run to it CCTV systems are another good deterrent, much more affordable these days.

Filling with concrete hmm I'd have to scrap the idea of putting lights in them :D, as for CCTV It's a rented property and we don't intend on staying here for that long so we don't want to pour money in to the place, my mate though is getting me some alarm mines.

Was just thinking I could take the roofs off and screw them down then glue the roof back on.. Hmm would have to give it some thought.

ebay mike

Retired, but still hoarding. (GOF)
6 Dec 2011
Norfolk - edge of nowhere.
Best answers
Country flag
So I've just moved in to my first house, unfortunately its terraced with a lane at the back and it's easy to look in the back garden, and I'm a bit cautious Maybe I'm worrying to much!
You can't be too cautious. I've had to resort to strand and coiled barbed wire, floodlights and CCTV - even with a 6ft fence surrounding the garden. There's always someone who'll nick anything just because it's there, or out of sheer boredom, to be destructive, to show off to others and a myriad of other reasons. If I could legally .wire up a mains fed electric fence. I hope you manage to avoid any 'episodes'. As for cheap buildings, once carboot sales are allowed to happen there are a number of kids toys and dollhouses that can be picked up for song which lend themselves to conversion and a repaint. Farmyard barns could serve as engine sheds with a little work. When not in use you could store them in one of those garden storage box things that doubles as a seat.

lgbmad

Model trains....G scale mainly, but enjoy all othe
20 Oct 2011
Llanfyllin,Powys
Best answers
Country flag
Other than needing a lot more space for G Gauge, the possibility of theft or damage is about the only down side for the hobby outside. I am starting my railway at long last this year. I have no neighbours, but theft is something that will always be on my mind, so eventual open days will have to be restricted to family and friends only, which is a shame......but you can’t be too careful now days.
I am all for .....electric security fencing, mine fields.....and armed drone patrols.:D
Take care all
Kev

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
But as we see in this forum, theft happens in all hobbies. Best bet really is to hide your layout behind bushes etc, so it can't easily be seen from outside of the garden.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
put some gps trackers into them?
Cheap an accurate to the meter, if you miss something, look on your phone where it is, and go retrieve the item(s).
The will do it one time and then they will be worned.

Gareth J

Registered
6 Jan 2016
South Australia
Best answers
I have concrete buildings on my layout, not for the theft part but the weather. Nothing should damage them, but they are heavy, about 30 - 40 kg each. A bit far away for you to use these one's though.

buidings1.jpgbuildings 3.jpgbuildings2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The biggest, meanest dog you can find, might be one solution.....:rofl:.....Seriously though, the idea of cheap toy buildings might be a good idea as ebayMike pointed out.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
The biggest, meanest dog you can find, might be one solution.....:rofl:.....Seriously though, the idea of cheap toy buildings might be a good idea as ebayMike pointed out.
Yes but don't forget the 'I'll Nick Anyfing brigade

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Am I the only one to read this thread as Budget Biscuits by AddictiveBuildings? :)

Reactions: 1 user

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Crumbs...

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
There are the treacle finger brigade out there to be sure,don`t advertise the fact the railway is there if you run with sound,keep the volume down as I do,you never know who`s passing by:swear: