Brunel Fan Trestle Viaduct

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Over the past year, I have been extending my G Scale layout to include a standard gauge GWR branch line. The track is 63.5mm (2.5") and the scale is 1:22.5 making it Gauge 3. On the approach to the main station, there is an eight metre gap, one meter deep. A viaduct was therefore called for. Being a GWR line, it had to be a Brunel Fan Trestle Viaduct.

First step was research; to find drawings of the prototypes. With the help of friends and Google and the model at Pendon, a plan emerged. An old Railway Modeller article gave me some dimensions and surveying work started. This was complicated by the fact that the track needed to climb at one in fifty while the land below was at a variable gradient, averaging about one in twenty five. This lead to some very tricky calculations of trestle sizes. In the end, I decided to play safe and cheat.

9dc16f4e3435422cb5fee5affdb6fe05.jpg

First I made a formwork mould for the concrete piers. When each pier was poured, I inserted two vertical treaded steel rods, on to which I was able to accurately locate the decking using supporting nuts. Using a laser beam, I was then able to adjust the decking up and down until it was level crosswise and at the correct gradient. The decking consists of two thicknesses of Harditex Blueboard, a cement sheet, sandwiched between two 12mm square strips of Tasmanian oak; all glued together with external Aquadhere.
Next came the trestles. I drew up two templates, one for the inner trestles and one for the outer. Again, 12mm square strips of Tasmanian oak were cut, pinned and glued to produce each trestle. Then they were pinned and glued into position in the gap set by the steel rods. Finally cross bars were bolted in place each side and all the woodwork was painted with decking preservative.
So far, three piers are complete and I have five to go....not a quick project this.
Peter

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Looks impressive Peter. The use of the threaded rod is a great idea!

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
That really is very, very impressive.

You should go into business and publish the plans.

Love the pannier too.

I dream about a Gauge 3, standard gauge line linking with my narrow gauge one, but first things first.

That's an amazing trestle. I K would be proud.

Love to see some more photos.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Wow , the skill of some folk never stops to amaze me :clap:

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
that looks very fine!

I like this construction, because it looks well and some kind of "straight".

Greetings

Frank

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
:clap:very impressive il like the use off screwed rod !!ingeniuse!:D

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I can only repeat the remarks above. Looks stunning.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Wow, that is just fantastic:clap:. Wish I had the patience and skills to build something like that....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice indeed - a proper civil engineering job!

Mick

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Martino said:
That really is very, very impressive.
You should go into business and publish the plans.
Love the pannier too.
I dream about a Gauge 3, standard gauge line linking with my narrow gauge one, but first things first.
That's an amazing trestle. I K would be proud.
Love to see some more photos.

I could scan the plans which came from an assortment of very old magazines. Where's the best place to put them on this forum? If I do this, will I be breaching the magazines' copyright?

One thing I have learnt about Gauge 3 is that you either need a big wallet or a well equipped workshop or a willingness to take it very, very slowly.

Another photo attached showing the branch line station which still waits for its Goods Shed and Engine Shed. It is in my front garden and the viaduct carries the track over rising ground until it becomes a ground level layout around our house.

Peter
99f8b665ee8245ec97406753396a4906.jpg

Woderwick

Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club
24 Oct 2009
Ia Drang Valley
www.gtrains.co.uk
Best answers
That is very, very nice, one Q, are the rods in for keeps or can you take them out now you have the level ?

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
The rods are permanent....if only because I have a three year old grandchild who will not be able to resist the temptation to walk along the viaduct.:(

My intention if to get some strips of 24mm x 12mm oak, use a router to carve a slot down the length and glue them in pairs around the steel rods to hide them. The piers will then look 100% wood.

Peter

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
That's a most impressive piece of modeling.

A mate has his efforts on a similar design published in a short article in Garden Rail back in June 2004 (issue 118).
No plans in that article but it does mention that he was prompted to build it when his dad bought him a copy of the book in the link below.
http://www.hmrs.org.uk/books/bookdetails.php?bookid=1018 < Link To http://www.hmrs.org.uk/bo...etails.php?bookid=1018

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
WOW!! I'm not sure which I like best to be honest the bridge or the Pannier!!! That looks truly like a real engineering job (which I guess it is really?) I think you should leave the rods as is, looking at the photo's they hardly notice but if you put another piece of wood in there it will look like it doesn't belong and stick out, does that make sense?..................Paul...........

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
GORGEOUS! :admire:

cant wait for the rest :clap:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work!

Will look great with the Pannier and an Autocoach running along it....

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
That's a very clever solution to the problem of building a bridge with an incline. I still dream of a standard gauge feeder for my railway, but as you say, you need a REALLY fat wallet.