Brick Walls or Brick Effect

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Brick embossed styrene sheet, or car body filler applied then scribed for brick work - see Mike's station built by Ian, or Doll's house bricks.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
dont know your kit
but once you get a styrene or whatever brick facade

i use either 1 or 2methods

the older i used for n scale-flood the facade with mineral spirits and then wash with white or light grey-or if bricks are painted with mineral paint -flood with alcohol and white acrylic base paint wash-a touch of detergent will help wash to flow over mineral base paint-obvioulsy the key is a wash -this allows the colour to be faint and not obscure the brick-it runs off the 'crown' of the brick itself 

this must be done while facade is flat-paint will run into grooves and simulate mortar once mineral spirits/alcohol dry-careful not to melt plastic or paint if using paint thinner-

second is to use spackling compound pre mixed and rub it in for morter -with nice large bricks and deep grooves-this works great

all this assume bricks have been painted and that brick paint is well set and very dry

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
I've used what I think were Precision brickwork sheets - they work well with 1/22.5 or half-inch scales. GRS now sell different sheets which are black plastic and seem to be more 1/20.3 scale; at all events the bricks are larger than the white sheets I found some time ago. (they also have low relief downpipe mouldings as well).

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi

Jackson minitures do a very good looking 'old brick' sheet - I have some bought from Jeremy at Dragon G scale. The old refers to the fact that they are not smooth but have varying depth to the bricks. The sheets are 23" x 7".

Here is a photo of the bricks with some mortar colour added , each brick is 9mm x 3.5mm

6a74b37a554e4015b282a1dd17391bd4.jpg

Jacksons rteccomend using a cartridge gun glue, its not cheap at about £7.00 per tube but is very good according to them. The cheapest source is Screwfix, but B& Q etc should sell it - it is called Evostik Wet Grab, and is waterproof.

I have done a review for it and will have to put it up, now the site seems to be settling down.

Yours Peter

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
The e-Bay site is selling 1/12th scale sheets whereas Jeremy sells 1/24th scale sheets. Neither are exactly 1/19 (16mm) or 1/20.3 (G Scale) but are close enough, depending on the effect you want to create. Ian Sharples made his own brick exterior for the Jackson's Miniatures country station kit using car filler. He had a posting on GSM showing how he did it. It's still available on the JM web site at http://www.gscalecentral.net/www.jacksonsminiatures.com/iansharples2.html < Link To www.jacksonsminiatures.com/iansharples2.html
Steve

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
(I use a stencil designed for dolls houses to make bricks. They are actually 1/12 but look fine. I use Ronseal plastic wood in a tube for the bricks instead of the brick compound sold by the stencil manufacturers as this is not waterproof.
The advantage with this method is that once you have bought the stencil the ongoing costs are very low.
Bromley Craft products make the stencils and they do quite a range.)

You can also get these in 1/24 scale as well, brick,stone and slate. I use wickes waterproof filler then seal with a varnish. Colours are added or painted using cheap acrylic paints.

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
400Parker said:
It's still available on the JM web site at http://www.gscalecentral.net/www.jacksonsminiatures.com/iansharples2.html < Link To www.jacksonsminiatures.com/iansharples2.html
For some reason the link doesn't work. Just paste this into your browser (or click on it if it comes up as a link):
www.jacksonsminiatures.com/iansharples2.html

Incidentally I am using superglue to stick the JM textured sheets to the moisture-proof mdf and it works very well. I'm not sure how good it will be outside but I shall find out shortly.

Steve