Brick/stone Cladding

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know of a cladding type material, like plasticard, or something to clad some fence outdoors, so that it looks like a returning wall, rather than fence at track level?

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
I have a similar problem. I have a section of 'wall' alongside the track that would look really good in blue brick. It is plastic soffit board (white), and I tried Mike's method of scribing bricks on it and gave up. No way do I have the patience for that! I thought a good way would be to cover it in vinyl sticker, truck type transfer, but need a starting brick pattern. 9" wide by 13ft long shouldn't be too difficult. I calculate the 'bricks' should be 12mm long by 4mm high, to be scale, but anything close would certainly do, who's gonna measure them?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
The Jackson's brick card that I already have, is a bit small at 1:24, but not horribly so. It comes in 2ft lengths and it still has to be painted.

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
Busch do pre-coloured retaining wall, though it would be quite expensive over a long length. GRS stock it. I wonder if the various makes of concrete retaining wall might be better outdoors? GRS, Cain Howley and probably other makes are available. I have also used the reverse side of rubber safety matting which has a sort of random stone look. Not ultra realistic but better than fence panels, durable and reasonably cheap. Needs a light wash with suitably matt mucky colour of your choice of course to disguise the dense black colour.

Last edited:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Try W Hobby in their dolls' house section, either 1:24, 1:16 or 1:12 might produce something.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Y
I have a similar problem. I have a section of 'wall' alongside the track that would look really good in blue brick. It is plastic soffit board (white), and I tried Mike's method of scribing bricks on it and gave up. No way do I have the patience for that! I thought a good way would be to cover it in vinyl sticker, truck type transfer, but need a starting brick pattern. 9" wide by 13ft long shouldn't be too difficult. I calculate the 'bricks' should be 12mm long by 4mm high, to be scale, but anything close would certainly do, who's gonna measure them?
Yeah, the fence makes the track and locos look rubbish. I was wondering about mosaic or stone effect bathroom tiles, the ones mounted to a net?

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've used bathroom/kitchen tiles that were available at Lowes and Home Depot here in the US, which were really effective. They've discontinued them but a US company has started producing a plastic version that was advertised in Garden Railways recently.

Have a go at building your own walls - http://www.richardstacey.com/
lgmbb.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I've used bathroom/kitchen tiles that were available at Lowes and Home Depot here in the US, which were really effective. They've discontinued them but a US company has started producing a plastic version that was advertised in Garden Railways recently.

Could you post details of the supplier please?
Thanks,
PhilP.

Tanker man

G scale and 5 inch ride on
10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
That product 'Martino' mentioned, yes I bought a piece from the 2014 show in Tampa, it's very light, made from what appears to be foam board with a block pattern on it, about 12'' x 12'' and has 'tooth tags' to interlock panels together. My intention (!) is to make a silicon mould of the panel and then cast the panels in a strong sand/ cement mix to use as a retaining wall in my cutting ( I had bamboo edging which lasted 15 years but has now gone) . I have had success with this on a smaller scale, I made a mould of 'brick arch' tiles, filled in, with a retaining wall built in , all about 5.5'' x 4'' , glued them to my concrete track bed with one of these 'glue anything to anything ' glues , which has worked very well.
I will try to post some pictures later.
Dave

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have had success with this on a smaller scale, I made a mould of 'brick arch' tiles, filled in, with a retaining wall built in , all about 5.5'' x 4'' , glued them to my concrete track bed with one of these 'glue anything to anything ' glues , which has worked very well.

Dave

That sounds like a job you can get stuck into....

David

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpg OK , between the showers, I've managed to get a quick pic
You can see my home made tiles against the track wall, the 'master' for my project is on the right and on the ground is 'one I made earlier' , this filled with quick setting cement makes arches for a viaduct, mine has been in place for several years, the master is made from 'Jigstones' and a mould taken
The 'arch tiles are made from 1 part cement, 2 parts building sand with about a third of a teaspoon of Wickes cement colour, and water, each tile seems to come out a different colour, which I quite like, it breaks out of the uniformity of the tiles
The original ones have been down for years and not suffered any frost damage at all.
I did see the write up for the stone tile but , of course! , I can't find it now!!!!! Isn't it always the way!!
Dave

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Could you post details of the supplier please?
Thanks,
PhilP.
I'm on the road at the moment, but will try and find the info when I'm back in FL later this week.

Tanker man

10 Jun 2015
Oxford
Best answers
Country flag
OK found it! The stone walling appeared in the ' Product Review' section of the February 2016 copy of Garden Railways, the US mag.
The product is described as being made of polyurethane, which makes it lightweight. They are 12'' x12'' by around 1/2 inch. It is sold by ' Reindeer Pass' their web: www.reindeerpass.com and the panels retail for $14.95.
This is the company that I bought my sample from.
Hope this is helpful to you all
Dave

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Reindeerpass are in the LINKS section

400Parker

Registered
18 Nov 2013
Best answers
Country flag
The Jackson's brick card that I already have, is a bit small at 1:24, but not horribly so. It comes in 2ft lengths and it still has to be painted.

Jackson's Miniatures also has brick sheets in 1/12th scale (24" x 14" - i.e. twice the size of the 1/24th scale sheets) that might be just the job for a retaining wall. It will still need to be painted but an aerosol spray will do the job quickly. They are on sale at £5.00 - quite a bargain compared with the 1/24th scale sheet. An alternative for retaining walls is the 1/12th scale dressed stone sheet. They come in 24" x 7" sheets costing £2.50.
Steve

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
All,
Thanks for the info on this..

G-force1

Prevarication Rules!
4 Aug 2015
North Middle Earth
Best answers
Country flag
Yup, every little helps said the old woman as she w . . . . !

Actually I'm still looking for the ideal solution for my problem, as I cant really add any thickness. I'd take a pic if I was near enough. Perhaps Wed.