Brake Pipes

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A few weeks ago, on a thread relating to the Bachmann Lynn, someone (I beleive it was Jon Dunnyrail) suggested using copper wire to make replacement brake pipes. So, as I had some coaches crying out for such things, I decided to have a bash. Please note, this is not in anyway accurate modelling, in fact the 10 foot rule rather than the 6 foot is the order of the day!DSCF8804.JPG

Basic requirements. The thicker copper wire is stripped from a piece of 2.5mm Twin & Earth ring cable which is pretty much spot on for the thickness of the Lynn pipework, the smaller wire from a piece of 2.5 stranded control wire.DSCF8805.JPGDSCF8806.JPG
The copper wire is easily bent to the approimate sapeDSCF8809.JPGDSCF8809.JPGDSCF8810.JPG

The finished item, just needs a quick solder on the ends and a quick paint job.DSCF8811.JPGDSCF8812.JPG

Sorry, the pictures about as dodgy as the modelling!

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looks fine, even with the dodgy photography!

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good to me Paul....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Try bass guitar strings! Various gauges, perfect for this type of thing.

My lad plays heavy metal on 6 and 8 string basses with thick strings, and also an electric upright bass with really thick ones!

In the smaller scales regular electric guitar strings are sometimes used to create brake pipes.

If you pop into a guitar shop that does re-stringing they're bound to have off-cuts or old replaced strings.

Grid squares are 1mm in this photo

IMG_2975.JPG

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
A few weeks ago, on a thread relating to the Bachmann Lynn, someone (I believe it was Jon Dunnyrail) suggested using copper wire to make replacement brake pipes.
It was my request for thoughts, and this is what I came up with:

Lyn-Pipes.jpg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Try bass guitar strings! Various gauges, perfect for this type of thing.

My lad plays heavy metal on 6 and 8 string basses with thick strings, and also an electric upright bass with really thick ones!

In the smaller scales regular electric guitar strings are sometimes used to create brake pipes.

If you pop into a guitar shop that does re-stringing they're bound to have off-cuts or old replaced strings.

Grid squares are 1mm in this photo

View attachment 262858
Brilliant idea. It's something that most wouldn't have thought about usingguitar strings. Next time there's a double bass player at the folks club, I'll ask him if he has any spares.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant idea. It's something that most wouldn't have thought about usingguitar strings. Next time there's a double bass player at the folks club, I'll ask him if he has any spares.
Ah but nothing beats the work of all that twiddling with spare bits of varying sized wire, though the guitar string method works it is not as neat as yours. Yes I have in the past suggested this method, may even have shown some somewhere in the long mist of time.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Vertical lengths of guitar-strings, make great radiators for Dismal's and IC loco's..
Use some 'U' channel to frame them.. :)

PhilP

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Vertical lengths of guitar-strings, make great radiators for Dismal's and IC loco's..
Use some 'U' channel to frame them.. :)

PhilP

My brother-in-law has a large collection of guitars, I'm sure he must have a few old strings knocking about, but if I told him what I wanted them for, I guess he would think I was pulling his wire.

David

dennishodge

Registered
21 Feb 2018
Bellevue, WA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice! My friend made brake hoses for his American steamies and attached miniature super strong magnets to the ends so the hoses connect.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice! My friend made brake hoses for his American steamies and attached miniature super strong magnets to the ends so the hoses connect.

I have some friends who have done something similar using bespoke parts that lock together. They do look the part.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
My brother-in-law has a large collection of guitars, I'm sure he must have a few old strings knocking about, but if I told him what I wanted them for, I guess he would think I was pulling his wire.

David
Or, just stringing him along.........