idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Austrian Narrow Gauge Twilight by Adrian S. Garner published by Lightmoor Press ISBN: 9781911038306 RRP £15.00 paperback pp136

phpThumb.php

This is basically a photo album of the author's trips to Austria in the 1960s and 1970s, where he visited many Austrian narrow gauge and tram railways. All the photos are black and white, either half page or full page, and are generally good quality, well composed and well described, with dates, location, loco numbers, etc. There is a small amount of accompanying text, and mercifully it is all in English. Lines covered include Aachensee, Zillertal, Pinzgauer, Mariazeller, Murtal, Mixnitz and Steyrtal. Coverage is varied, for example Aachensee and Zillertal get nearly a third of the book, whereas Mixnitz gets one photo on one page. There are quite a few pages dedicated to the Ober Grafendorf scrapyard, which is where many narrow gauge steam locos met their end, bit like Barry Island for UK readers. If Austrian narrow gauge is your passion then you will enjoy this, but your favourite line may not get much coverage, if at all. For example Ybbstal, Waldviertel and Gurktal are all missing, so this is far from comprehensive, but good value none the less.

Lightmoor Press Books - Austrian Narrow Gauge Twilight

Reactions: 1 user

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Austrian Narrow Gauge Twilight by Adrian S. Garner published by Lightmoor Press ISBN: 9781911038306 RRP £15.00 paperback pp136

phpThumb.php

This is basically a photo album of the author's trips to Austria in the 1960s and 1970s, where he visited many Austrian narrow gauge and tram railways. All the photos are black and white, either half page or full page, and are generally good quality, well composed and well described, with dates, location, loco numbers, etc. There is a small amount of accompanying text, and mercifully it is all in English. Lines covered include Aachensee, Zillertal, Pinzgauer, Mariazeller, Murtal, Mixnitz and Steyrtal. Coverage is varied, for example Aachensee and Zillertal get nearly a third of the book, whereas Mixnitz gets one photo on one page. There are quite a few pages dedicated to the Ober Grafendorf scrapyard, which is where many narrow gauge steam locos met their end, bit like Barry Island for UK readers. If Austrian narrow gauge is your passion then you will enjoy this, but your favourite line may not get much coverage, if at all. For example Ybbstal, Waldviertel and Gurktal are all missing, so this is far from comprehensive, but good value none the less.

Lightmoor Press Books - Austrian Narrow Gauge Twilight
If you like Austrian Narrow Gauge then try "Damals bei der Vellachtalbahn" by Ludger Kenning and published by Verlag Kenning ISBN 978-3-944390-15-4 available from Amazon book is in German but is full of both colour and B/W photos

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation I will look out for that. I have just got hold of a copy of Schmalspurbahn durch Österreich 1825-1975 which is an excellent book, covering every line, era, loco and wagon. All in German of course but as it is a really a reference book you don't need to know a lot of German to make use of it.

EDIT: just ordered Damals bei der Vellachtalbahn from Amazon, £30 inc postage with delivery by Monday 21, can't say fairer than that. I have a few of the Kenning books and they are all excellent.

Last edited:

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to have helped check out forthcoming titles from the list on the back page yours David Miller a.k.a meiningen8

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the recommendation I will look out for that. I have just got hold of a copy of Schmalspurbahn durch Österreich 1825-1975 which is an excellent book, covering every line, era, loco and wagon. All in German of course but as it is a really a reference book you don't need to know a lot of German to make use of it.

EDIT: just ordered Damals bei der Vellachtalbahn from Amazon, £30 inc postage with delivery by Monday 21, can't say fairer than that. I have a few of the Kenning books and they are all excellent.
You may like to know about another Austrian Narrow Gauge book ISBN 9783963031489 available from amazon about the Bregenzerwaldbahn by Norbert Fink

AustrianNG

Director of my railway
16 Sep 2015
Wirral
Best answers
Country flag

Yes - the "Schmalspurbahnen" is the Austrian NG go to book for reference and accuracy.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
:think:
Just how wide is a narrow gauge reference book?
:think: