Bodge it #2 - scratch bodged cattle truck

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
By popular demand &:

A few photos of progress, so far, of my cattle truck with opening doors. I think the photos explain construction better than I can. The chassis is an LGB of unknown origin but I bought it from fellow forum member C&S (thanks Giles). Coffee stirrers form the bodywork and floor. I've replaced the wheels with metal Liliput axles and filled the hollow cavities in the chassis with roofing lead to add ballast. The hinges on the small doors have been made using strips of cut-up cat food tin and 1mm copper wire stripped out of 'twin & earth' cable. For the hinges for the large doors/ramps I used the same wire but left the insulation on and cut through it and glued alternate sections to the body, then the ramp / body / ramp / body (I told you the pictures would explain it better. Left to do are the roof, buffer beams, paint and round up the cattle. The body will be attached to the chassis using screws through the holes in the uprights that extend below floor level so it can be removed for maintenance or change of 'live' cargo :clap:.

cd863b9987fb41678fbdd6610991e984.jpg

43e06e5d376f41afa0274454b74e566a.jpg

95f48e76c4e64a8a9511a437acb45497.jpg

5c5a23cf87984dc5b66c3a6cd6810e3e.jpg

Damn those Slim Fast tins :wits:

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Nice one - very inspirational. Only managed to collect 4 coffee stirrers so far - have you SEEN the price of motorway coffee??? I tend to buy stripwood from GeeDee Models in Nottingham when I'm allowed out.
Keep up the good work.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Nice work, Thanks for the photos - as you say they add a lot to the post, and as usual save a 1000 words each!

Possibly, rather than remember to shift the tines aech time, it could be much better have a white to light grey sheet of card(?) to hide them, and it is removable when the photos have been taken - I suspect that the tins are being used for storage? If so a good use for useful tins.

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
peterbunce said:
Nice work, Thanks for the photos - as you say they add a lot to the post, and as usual save a 1000 words each!

Possibly, rather than remember to shift the tines aech time, it could be much better have a white to light grey sheet of card(?) to hide them, and it is removable when the photos have been taken - I suspect that the tins are being used for storage? If so a good use for useful tins.

Sound advice Peter, the trouble is remembering. SWMBO read that vitamin B1 helps short term memory so bought some tablets but we always forget to take the things (and they taste horrible :- )

Sure enough, you can't have enough storage. When Dad died we cleared out his garage and found an old tea caddy used for storing screws that I can remember as a little boy - they are probably the same screws as well knowing Dad :rofl:

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Eaglecliff said:
Nice one - very inspirational. Only managed to collect 4 coffee stirrers so far - have you SEEN the price of motorway coffee??? I tend to buy stripwood from GeeDee Models in Nottingham when I'm allowed out.
Keep up the good work.

I buy mine by the several hundred off e-bay. Just do a search for coffee stirrers. Don't know if they work out cheaper than your stripwood and the quality can be sometimes dodgy. You've got to weed out the bent ones but they don't go to waste.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I get my (used) coffee stirrers from Sheringham Station on the Poppy Line.
I go round all the tables and empty their table top rubbish recepticles for them....

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
adeshers said:
Sound advice Peter, the trouble is remembering. SWMBO read that vitamin B1 helps short term memory so bought some tablets but we always forget to take the things (and they taste horrible :- )

I understood it was Vitamin B12 that was taken for memory loss. But what do I know?

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Very nice job, Ade; glad the chassis has been put to good use, and under one of my favourite prototype wagons, too.

Re: hinges and strapping, have you tried using the metal foil that is used to make the tubes for tomato puree? Much easier to cut and fashion than tinplate, and you can emboss rivets from the back with a sharp point. I used to use toothpaste tubes, until they all went plastic, but luckily the tomato boys still use metal foil.

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
C&S said:
Very nice job, Ade; glad the chassis has been put to good use, and under one of my favourite prototype wagons, too.

Re: hinges and strapping, have you tried using the metal foil that is used to make the tubes for tomato puree? Much easier to cut and fashion than tinplate, and you can emboss rivets from the back with a sharp point. I used to use toothpaste tubes, until they all went plastic, but luckily the tomato boys still use metal foil.

Thanks Giles, now that's a good tip. I'll try that.

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Quick update -

Thin styrene sheet was cut and embossed to provide buffer beams and a large sheet was cut to make a base for the roof.
afc9118629c446f695ef57501edf34a6.jpg

17c0193ce52346eebea41a7e3cd9f352.jpg

The roof was then clad with coffee stirrers.
7afc10198fac453cad54079a6cfdf6ba.jpg

The ends were sanded to (almost) parallel.
da2fc271d22044fea5360967bd2655f9.jpg

Muslin was then glued on using waterproof PVA and left to dry overnight.
9e9cb571e2c5447ab3e230ef7503ca2f.jpg

And all was overseen by the depot supervisor
7f82510c7c774fc38b3b7b90c1b2f69b.jpg

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very, very nice.

More power to your elbow, sir.

mikka

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Victoria, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
wowzers..... :admire:

i wish i had the patience with them coffee stirrers....

i made some wooden coach sides for a friend dabbling in SM32 and havent used any 3 years since XD

here in Oz we call em paddle pop sticks.....yes ice creams sometimes use em.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Cracking job you have done there, the tomato puree foil is also good for lead flashing on buildings.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Eaglecliff said:
Keep up the good work.

Another option is to get Lolly Sticks. I got a pack from my local friendly Art Shop. Not a lot of dosh changed hands as I seam to remember. Because they are a bit larger than Coffee Stirrers they do need cutting down for some smaller applications. But are just right for some of the larger ones.
JonD

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Looks Brilliant like the way you have done the roof :clap:

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Thanks for all the kind comments - very heartening. A few photos follow with an update.

The livestock have been rounded up (a Schleich bull and cow) but their transport is not ready! The muslin on the roof is dry and now the excess can be wrapped underneath and glued, left to dry and then trimmed.
bef293e849d94c41b191fe64940efbb9.jpg

Trimming completed and in this shot you can see that the glue has become less opaque and the planks can be seen through the muslin. The doors are open ready to receive the cattle.
f4ba53d860fd4f3ea219ad31609f0163.jpg

The beasts fit (just). The flash photography gives a better idea of the colours. With the cattle on board that's one weighty (some might even say - meaty) wagon. Sorry - hat, coat, door.
f2f925b37fa147f9a181e875e7cd1278.jpg

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Ace Ade! :clap:
Could you take a closer shot of the hinges please? I'm intrigued. Okay, you did while I was typing :rolleyes:
Now the crunch, where in Chapel-en-le-Frith are you going to get cow pong? :rofl:
:D