Bodge it #1 - Scratch bodged brakevan

adeshers

More sense than money .. more stupidity than sense
6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Here's a few photographs of my first home-made wagon. I needed a brake-van of some sort and funds are tight. I purchased a couple of flat bed Hartland chassis from Back2Bay6 and a few hundred coffee stirrers off e-bay with a view to seeing what I could do. Having looked at photos of other home-made/kit built/real brake vans I designed mine 'on the fly'. The starting point was the six square holes in the flatbed that I used as anchoring points for the uprights of the body. The body remains removable. I won't bore anybody with construction details as I think it should be fairly obvious from the photos. I added thin plasticard strips embossed from the rear with a biro to give the impression of bolt heads. The tail lamp works using a 3V LED and 2 x AA battery pack slung under the chassis with a small slidey switch. I changed the plastic wheels for metal ones (and this with the batteries) adds plenty of added weight. The roof is muslin covered coffee stirrers painted mucky grey with rain strips added. The main paint used was Halfords red primer rattle can with black bits picked out in black gloss Humbrol or red gloss Humbrol for the buffer beams. The main thing for me was that it was fun and it's all mine. My thanks to The Fat Controller (Steve) for the slidey switch.
ca34041afd954a36be740fcb459d4d4e.jpg

6ae980cb1b2a45fd830606839c3a6045.jpg
bfce5b318bd34b2fbd34515be5266d2d.jpg

ba34d499f81041568aa752921096b2c1.jpg

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
Oh, and by the way, the Slimfast tins are not mine ;)

YES THEY ARE (SWMBO) :thumbdown:

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
adeshers said:
Oh, and by the way, the Slimfast tins are not mine ;)

YES THEY ARE (SWMBO) :thumbdown:

Don't argue children. Play nicely. I like the van.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Me too - its got character & it looks good.
And for your next trick ?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I tried to slim fast once (not the product!) - lost the weight and put it all on (with a bonus) within a year:D Like the van (and the working tail lamp).

Mick

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Nice job. Now what you can you make from empty Slimfast tins??

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I like that?

Great work

It's got a certain charm....

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Good work. That embossed strapping works well, and simple, too. Must give it a go next time I need some. Have you got enough side clearance to add some width to those footboards? - don't think H&SE would approve of such narrow ones, and wider ones would emphasise it as a narrow gauge vehicle.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Pretty damned good, I would say. Incidentally, see my snowplow posts re a battery pack with slidey switch, I think I'll get a few of these for other lighting projects

adeshers

6 Nov 2009
NW Derbyshire
Best answers
C&S said:
........ Have you got enough side clearance to add some width to those footboards? - don't think H&SE would approve of such narrow ones, and wider ones would emphasise it as a narrow gauge vehicle.

I know what you mean but the footboards are a little vulnerable and I've had to re-glue them a couple of times already due to rough handling during painting :angry: and I think a wider board would make it even easier to break.

Thanks for all the kind comments. I've got a cattle wagon underway - I'll post pictures when it's a little more presentable.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Damn good build that, looking forward to seeing how your cattle wagon "bodge" goes