Bits'n'Bobs Box Cab

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
C&S said:
I thought that "car-like thing" that Alyn posted was for 4x4 jousting, but I've just seen it's a towed snowplough. How's that work, then? Surely whatever is towing the snowplough has to break through the drifts itself, first.

Sorry, thread drift.

No, thanks for asking. The "car snowplough" steers outside of the tram tracks; to push the snow already pushed to the side from a passed conventional tram fitted snow plough. The snow therefore has been ploughed twice, and is now in the gutter. Hope that makes sense. Alyn

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers

The "car snowplough" steers outside of the tram tracks; to push the snow already pushed to the side from a passed conventional tram fitted snow plough. The snow therefore has been ploughed twice, and is now in the gutter. Hope that makes sense. Alyn
[/quote]

Thanks, Alyn; makes perfecr sense now. I obiously didn't have my glasses on when looking at the picture - though the wheels were flangerd as well as tyred.

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
The Yanks call them 'flangers' - same function.

I was trying to identify what about the boxcab really makes me like it, and it's the roof profile - rather then a plain arc, the 3 (ish?) radii roof from the LGB coach makes it look very real, IMHO. Hard to make from plain plasicard or ply I would have thought, but Mr LGB supplied the right thing!

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Well, after a couple of months, the bits'n'bobs boxcab finally gets something to pull !
The blue & grey livery is pinched from Buenos Aires Subte Line A vintage stock. The coach was out of the bits box having most of its floor and the external beading already removed. Anyway, I think they go well together.
c9621abb01304f1586e32156121db0c5.jpg

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the box cab finally made it onto the 'el' for a test run
a8e599c5250f4517b175e3ae66ce6d45.jpg

Trouble is, I set the coupler loop at the wrong height so it couldn't pull its trailer. Looks like the couple at the far end of the platform got fed up of waiting.
4315cba9a1664955b0fde693c8f37820.jpg

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
That looks very good, David; all you need now is some overhead. Alyn