Birds poop on my layout

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Let's face it.........sometimes you just can't win. Just let the local fauna do thier thing. Wait till a hedgehog lays one across your tracks, sticks like epoxy. But hey ho, it shows they are still around eating up those slugs. Small price to pay for their services to horticulture. Max

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Reactions: 1 user

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
But GAP, seems you've taken the sun back with you though
I know it followed me all the way home on the return flight which is why I am waking up at 1:30am due to my body clock being out of kilter.
Bloody jet lag!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

ColinK

Registered
14 Apr 2017
Lancaster
Best answers
Country flag
Take up banjo lessons and practice in your garden - animals, birds and people will keep away.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I was warned about tree sap & leaves on the track when designing the layout & running past two oak trees, & this steered me more towards RC battery trains. But you guys forgot to mention the flying rats "Pigeons" pooping all over layout in these areas.
So, i am going to build a canopy over the track in these areas. Something corrugated would look good, but would need to go from left to right of picture & dont think corrugated would bend this way without buckling. Any other suggestions, or do you know of one that wont. Remembering the track is on plastic decking boards razed off the ground. Thanks

View attachment 316980
Try one of those plastic flying hawks - some people (not railway modelers) have had some success with these :nerd:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Try one of those plastic flying hawks - some people (not railway modelers) have had some success with these :nerd:
The allotments have both hawk and owl plastic "things". not sure how effective they are.

Bopper

Registered
9 Apr 2021
Parkes 2870 NSW
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Pigeons are the least of my worries, foxes can do damage, but the crows are worst, they come to pick insects off the vegetation around the railway, and move everything around to get what they are after.View attachment 316994
Hi all I have trouble with Magpies moving my little people around and I have lost a couple. Colin for Australia.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
As motioned before a cal .22 will do the trick a cal 12 or 16 wil damage your stuf, btw a cal 22 will fly to your next door neighbours.
A pallet gun? and some patience? you must shoot a lot of them.... but they will come back...perfect as roast a pigeon, bbq, stew, boiled, backed can be, after one full year you want something else...
You cannot win.
Pigeons and other birds even mammals (fox marters ferrets ect)will swallow small stones to help to grind up food in there stomage.
Make sure all is fixed by a glue, then they won't pick them up, and lose intres.
Sometimes they are mistaking the small stones for a snail or something, seagulls even drop golfbal size stones in the hope that there is a jummy tread in it.

Oke tackel a other problem.
Also food related:
Make sure your tracks and at least 50cm either way of your track is plant free, all small plants carry seeds, and that is something they also want to have: seeds and young plants/sprouts.

Get some cats and or dogs, train your dogs to scare away birds.....Oke it will save me some food:cool: but the damage on the track....
Cats are more gentile...

As far for your planning, get yourself some thin pvc or alu sheet 1mm thick.
Make yourself some arches like you want, nail or glue the sheet down.
Heck get even 3mm 5mm max plywood and put wood stain on it.
Plywood and foam pvc can be carved like roofing tiles structure.
Or get some 1-2 plexiglass Lexan glass...

If you going to do it, than do it good!
There are some railroads companies that needs protection in the mountains, i really hope someone will shime in on this one. that is all i know, sorry.
I even thought in heavy forest they also had/ or do something like this.

I hope this story will give you some food for thoughts...

With best regards Igor...

Ps some dogs between 40 and 60 .... you dont want them around your track chasing a bird.... really you dont want that......really you dont want...

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
ps, spiders insect worms, maggots ect is also hiding for them, thus food...
Green soap, spiritus, and water. put it in a spray bottle, spray every week in the autumn and spring, or at least when you see something.
Also good for other smaller buggers with names i cannot translate to English, sorry.
You will find those small buggers at your roses and grapes.

Green soap is biodegradable and spiritus will vaporise.

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Cheap and with roofing structed: dpc foil...

miniboB

Registered
6 Mar 2020
Union Grove
Best answers
Country flag
Pigeons are the least of my worries, foxes can do damage, but the crows are worst, they come to pick insects off the vegetation around the railway, and move everything around to get what they are after.View attachment 316994
Little birdey in the sky, Drop some whitewash in my eye. Me don't care me don't cry but me sure glad that cows don't fly!

• Haha

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I was told to tie blue plastic shopping bags in my peach tree to stop the parrakeets from eating them.
While I was up in the middle of the tree after tying several blue plastic shopping bags, the parrakeets decided to come and join me eating the peaches within arms reach. Well, I gave up on that idea! :oops:
Haven't seen parakeets this far north "Norfolk" in the UK, but when i lived in London there was loads about. Compared to other birds they were like jet fighters with speed & agility. No one was quite sure where they came from, but they was found to be Himalayan green parrots & this also explained how the put up with the occasional UK cold winters if from that part of the world.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Haven't seen parakeets this far north "Norfolk" in the UK, but when i lived in London there was loads about. Compared to other birds they were like jet fighters with speed & agility. No one was quite sure where they came from, but they was found to be Himalayan green parrots & this also explained how the put up with the occasional UK cold winters if from that part of the world.
Indian Ringnecks are the common "incomer"

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
See the odd Parakeet in St.Neots, I would be surprised if the odd one or two are not to be found in Norfolk. I only ID them here as I am used to their squeak having heard and seen many of them helping my friend build his Garden line in Feltham Middlesex, then noticing the green streak fly over the Park. I have talked to Twitchers at the local lakes and they confirmed them to be around this area in small numbers. London area ones apparently roost in the Staines area and fly back from many locations in London every night, a superb sight as hundreds fly over, many between his and next doors houses. There always a few in the gardens near his house picking for goodies in the trees.