Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
An old YouTube video that I just came across.

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I have 2! They do not pull well, and need a motor changeout... not cheap.

Greg

p.s. His nephew Channing is now in the Bay Area full time, and has the same positive attitude and demeanor. We have been working with him on the GP60.

Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just like his uncle, Channing is a total gentleman. We have had many an interesting chinwag on his visits over here, often with Bing as well. I can safely say that Accucraft is in safe hands, of that there can be no doubt.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, we had a 4 way zoom meeting with him on the GP60.... you can tell a lot about a person in how they respond to ideas, how quickly they can grasp concepts, etc.

The GP60's are on the water, I wonder if I should buy one... I sort of want to find out about the changes to the motor blocks before buying.

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, we had a 4 way zoom meeting with him on the GP60.... you can tell a lot about a person in how they respond to ideas, how quickly they can grasp concepts, etc.

The GP60's are on the water, I wonder if I should buy one... I sort of want to find out about the changes to the motor blocks before buying.

Greg

Have they settled on a scale for this model, now that it's in production? I'm guessing that it will be 1/29th, there being very few people modelling diesel-era American/Canadian trains in 1/32nd, now that MTH have gone.....

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Have they settled on a scale for this model, now that it's in production? I'm guessing that it will be 1/29th, there being very few people modelling diesel-era American/Canadian trains in 1/32nd, now that MTH have gone.....

tac. As far as I know MTH have not gone the way of the dodo like so many others have in this hobby. https://www.mthtrains.com/

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Ahah!!! A case of 'all rumours of my death have been grossly exaggerated' eh? Thank you for that - it IS good news for those of us who model US/Can in 1/32nd scale Gauge 1 rather than Messrs Polk and Ro's 1/29th...nice though it is, I have to admit, having a little collection of ten of 'em.

Last edited:

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Ahah!!! A case of 'all rumours of my death have been grossly exaggerated' eh? Thank you for that - it IS good news for those of us who model US/Can in 1/32nd scale Gauge 1 rather than Messrs Polk and Ro's 1/29th...nice tough it it, I have to admit, having a little collection of ten of 'em.

I have only recently broken my pledge to only collect narrow gauge trains. Now I have several gauge one 1/32 beuties with a keen eye on another one soon. It's good there are other vendors besides Accucraft still kicking around for coaches etc. :nod:

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Tac: the scale of the model has never deviated from the initial announcement, 1:29, and it's the right choice based on tha market size.

Pradise: unfortunately MTH announced it's closure last year. So, while it is technically open for 15 more days, the 1 gauge 1:32 line has not been bought apparently. I'm surprised you have not heard this. The S scale was sold, and I think the HO scale. I think Mike is keeping a service department open, and some talk of an electronics division, but MTH is not making more trains, it is closing.

From the same web site: https://mthtrains.com/news/658

Greg

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Tac: the scale of the model has never deviated from the initial announcement, 1:29, and it's the right choice based on tha market size.

Pradise: unfortunately MTH announced it's closure last year. So, while it is technically open for 15 more days, the 1 gauge 1:32 line has not been bought apparently. I'm surprised you have not heard this. The S scale was sold, and I think the HO scale. I think Mike is keeping a service department open, and some talk of an electronics division, but MTH is not making more trains, it is closing.

From the same web site: https://mthtrains.com/news/658

Greg

Oh dear. Another one bites the dust. :(

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
It is indeed sad... when I started the large scale hobby in earnest, about 2000, I had to make the decision between 1:29 and 1:32, and with MTH, there was a reasonable path to having a sort of cost effective alternative to Accucraft and Aster... (especially on the diesel side).

Now it would be hard for the average beginner to start in 1:32...

Greg

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Greg - you wrote - 'Now it would be hard for the average beginner to start in 1:32...'

I'd say that without what is left of MTH, second-hand, you are pretty much dead in the water for 1/32nd scale US/Can diesels.

Now, without USA Trains, and the occasional used Aristo loco, we'd all be looking at empty tracks. Sad to see that there is no Canadian variant of the GP60, bearing in mind the frequency of spotting Canadian locos down in the lower 48.