Beyer -Garratts

jetomlin

Scratch building Bridges and Buildings.</br>Steame
24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
I am aware that the Accucraft g scale Beyer Garratts heat the gas tank by immersing in a water bath to counteract the cooling effect on the gas. Do Any other models of this size use this technique or are there other methods in use?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
The LGB Frank S has the fuel tank in a water bath.I find it works well if you occasionaly add a little tepid water during a run.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Other Accucraft live steamers have a water bath, I'm not sure which ones, I suspect they are the models of relatively large American prototypes. I'm not sure if it's a standard fitting but I believe it's possible to arrange steam heating of the water bath in order to maintain a reasonable temperature.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
A warm water tank is only really needed when the gas tank is remote from the loco boiler, i.e. in a tender, or in the back bunker in the case of the Accucraft NGG16. Most locos have their gas tank sufficiently close to the boiler that there is sufficient ambient heat to warm the tank and its contents, but without heating it so much that there is risk of an explosion.

DJB Engineering supply a very neat kit for allowing a steam/hot water supply to the NGG16 warm water tank. I find the best results are obtained by only having about 1/2 inch water in the tank, and just giving it a blast of steam every now and then, and that there is no need for the water to be much more then tepid.