Best wagon for carrying battery electronics

Mobi

Registered
21 Jul 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
As I am planning to convert a loco to battery power and initially prefer to put the electronics in a trailing car.

So, what would be ideal rolling stock for this?

It should be

1. Cheap (I know it is a relative word but still...)
2. should have LGB/Playmo hook-loop type coupler
3. a door/window on one end so that I can fit the wire without drilling
4. Easily removable roof (to put the components and take them away as needed)

I think passenger coaches are unsuitable due to large windows on sides. But the covered wagons don't have any openings on the end to take out the wires from loco to wagon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Your choices are limited to either a brake van, box van, open wagon with a removable load or passenger coaches.

I know yo said you don`t want to use a passenger coach but depending on what vehicle you choose it can be very subtle, and you won`t see it from more than 2 feet away.

These photos show an Annie coach, it does have small windows that help to hide RC gear. I did have to drill holes, ones for an on/off switch and 2 to let the wires out

image.jpg

image.jpg

The other photo shows a brake van, again it needed holes drilling, but by using black wire, and drilling through the buffer beam it seems to hide it

image.jpg

image.jpg

And ignore the messy wiring, I`m just learning and practicing my installation, and I have fully decided what my standard set up will be.

Dan

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Mobi - if you like the look of the little grey van with the AL-K51 markings in Dan's post above, I have one of those going spare that I was going to put up on the sales forum in a little while - if you would like it, it's yours for £25 including postage....?

If you've been a member long enough to be able to send PMs, then PM me!

Jon.

Mobi

Registered
21 Jul 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I think I'd wait till I manage to setup the system first (the voltage regulator is still in post). Once it starts working I'd try to make it look nicer.

I have couple of flat wagons, hopefully they should work. Will look unsightly though but will sort that out later. 8)

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I prefer a lower wagon like a gondola. It's an appearance thing with me. I don't like to crowd the loco with a high box car, although in real practice it doesn't matter which cars are directly behind the locomotive. It's simple enough to create a cover for a gondola, whether it be a coal, crates, scrap metal, etc.

fridge

Registered
15 Jan 2012
Sussex
Best answers
I used a Lehmann Toy Train dynamite wagon. Remove trigger mechanism, glue body parts together, glue roof parts together. Probably not a good idea to have dynamite next to the loco, so I sprayed the wagon white and stuck on a couple of Hasseroeder beer placards which I saw on their website. No need to drill any holes.

Personally I would use a gondola / flat car with a removable cover i.e a packing crate / tarpaulin over it

Cheap - Simple - Convenient

No need to drill holes necessarily - and could be charged by just lifting off the crate / tarpaulin

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Mobi said:
I think I'd wait till I manage to setup the system first (the voltage regulator is still in post). Once it starts working I'd try to make it look nicer.

I have couple of flat wagons, hopefully they should work. Will look unsightly though but will sort that out later. 8)

No problem at all, just thought I'd offer in case it was of any use! ;)

Jon.