Best Value G scale decoders?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That is a Berlyn... highly detailed, underneath there is a pretty scale gearbox and there is an electric motor in it, it has a driveshaft with universals, simulated chain drive.

The 4 speakers are very low profile and small, so using 4 of them gives adequate volume and sound, where one would be tinny and not much volume.. they are so low profile you cannot see the setup from outside...

See my page: Casey Jones rail truck

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Greg, looked at your page on the railtruck, nice little model!

I'm actually now thinking about putting the MX645 into a brass model myself - one of my pair of Ts3 0-6-0 locos from Dingler.... at the moment these both have LS decoders in the cabs, which are rather visible, and I'm thinking of taking the LS out of one for re-use elsewhere and trying out the MX645 in its place, since it will fit much more neatly into the very limited space available in the brass and steel model.

Gradually working my way through the reams of Zimo documentation.... Greg, Dan or anyone else with experience of them - the MX645 apparently has the facility to directly connect a capacitor (or bank of capacitors) for buffering purposes.... a small electrolytic Cap is supplied with the decoder (a 16v 470uF), but the manual says that larger capacities are of course better, up to a maximum of around 5000uF..... at one point it says this:

“PluX-like” decoders WITH direct capacitor hook-up:
“PluX-like” are all decoders belonging to families containing PluX types, even the hard-wired version
Capacitors to be connected must be rated (regardless of track voltage) at: 16 V (The charging voltage is limited by the decoder to 16 V).

Now, I take this to actually mean that the MINIMUM voltage rating of the Cap(s) must be 16v, and that using a Cap of a GREATER voltage rating is fine - is this a correct assumption?
I have some 35v 2200uF Caps that I bought a while back to make some DIY buffers (which, like so many projects, is still waiting to be done....) - I'm thinking it would be OK to use one or more of these with the MX645, can anyone confirm or deny?

Jon.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, the higher voltage won't hurt, but it will be bigger physically of course.

Apparently, with the direct capacitor hookup the decoder has the voltage regulated to something lower, irrespective of the track voltage.. That's nice, because otherwise on G scale you would need a 35v cap (typical values are 25v and next 35v).

So yes that should read minimum. Your caps in parallel should be fine in all cases...

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Your capacitors will be fine, Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I know that these days, with the standards of both English and proofreading being so low, it's barely worth laughing at uncorrected typos - and of course this IS a translation from German anyway - but I found this a few lines further down in the Zimo manual....

"The MX633 can accept even lager capacitors....."

Who knew that beer could be used as a capacitor? :rofl:

Jon.