Country flag
Agree with what's b een said before - Phoenix

darkdaniel100

Registered
27 Oct 2009
Colchester
Best answers
Country flag
I plan on putting a QSI chip inside my shay ! QSI are working on getting the shay sounds !

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Once upon a time Soundtraxx Sierra units were also very good, a fair bit cheaper than Phoenix, in some respects more versatile albeit with a slightly less powerful amplifier. Sadly they are now out of production but well worth considering if you can find an old stock or second hand example. The company is still in business and was still offering service on the units earlier this year.

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
You could try Martins Models he has several Soundtraxx Sierra sound chips in stock if i remember he had a Shay in stock cost around £150 .

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Recently we had a customer purchase a MyLocoSound card for his Shay and he found that the chuff adjustment would not go high enough for the chuff rate he needed at maximum speed. We therefore modified the soundcard and MyLocoSound is now more suitable for Shays.

Peter

adverse camber

Registered
2 Dec 2009
East Anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I have an ESU sound / DCC chip combined in my Shay. Sound is great and from what I can gather quite prototypical. The whole thing took about 10 mins to wire with the instructions. It is one of the best sound units I have. Came from Jeremy needless to say. Chip seems to have been programmed for the shay too. good start up sequence and slows doen slowly so has to be thought about rather than just stopped at the press of a button. Have not yet bothered to fine tune it.

AC

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
i have a phoenix sound, u can find examples (turn on the volume) on the video-section of the forum.

I wanted to try QSI for a Connie (cause its cheaper) but that didnt fit to a RC steering.

I think the phoenix gives the sound very prototypical, only thing thats bad is the brake-squieeek that always comes to late (who needs it with a shay????)

Frank

Jon

Registered
31 Oct 2009
Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Apparently Massoth now doing a Shay, have always found Massoth units easy to fit & programme