Behind Closed Doors

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
The workshops of the Foxdale & St. Marks Railway are very much "Off Limits" to any budding photographers and enthusiasts, to my knowledge only two official pictures have ever been seen of the inside of the Loco works, so you will have to excuse the lack of photographic evidence to support this message thus far.
Around 10:30 this morning (Saturday 26th Dec) a large load covered by a tarpaulin was delivered to the workshop site, the load was transferred by crane on to the three foot, and pushed into the sheds by one half of the Ex County Donegal railcars, driven by the Locomotive Superintendant himself, K.C. Quayle. Also reported to have been in attendance were F&S.t M PW chargehand Finlo Qualtrough, General manager Arthur Looney, several Board members, and a gathering of Irish gentlemen.
The small crowd stayed inside the sheds for around about two hours, and emerged with broad smiles on their faces. They all then made their way to the "Baltic Inn", where they stayed until tea time, the Irish contingent were then transported to the Airport to catch a flight back to Dublin.
Watch this space for any further info!

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
Sunday morning, no trains running and nobody about, so a visit beyond the "No Trepassing" sign was in order. The only vantage point is a crack in the shed door. The loco nearest to view is clearly "Injebreck", however there seems to be a new addition to the fleet , as "Ardwhallin" is in the next section of the shed and hidden from sight :)
fb95487c3ebe41e4aaa497a56345b370.jpg

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Fraggle Rock aka Isle of Man
Best answers
GHWood said:
Sunday morning, no trains running and nobody about, so a visit beyond the "No Trepassing" sign was in order. The only vantage point is a crack in the shed door. The loco nearest to view is clearly "Injebreck", however there seems to be a new addition to the fleet , as "Ardwhallin" is in the next section of the shed and hidden from sight :)
fc8ca7cbb08f46bb93707f5f1e1bcc23.jpg
As some what of an expert at 'cracking' Manx engine sheds to getting those 'prohibited' photographs, i am sure it will not be long before we find the back way in and publish the results. If I can't my long standing friend, who is a island railway expert and total bad boy, Curtis Devereau surely will - no where is safe from our lens!

[attachment deleted by admin]

New Haven Neil

trains bikes camping kayaking red wine.....more tr
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Ah, the management of the L&L, from 'down north' yessir, have an inkling what may have occurred......we were in the transit lounge of Ronadsway International Airport, and overheard some, er, lubricated Irish gents talking .......:D

I am wondering if the new arrival came from the same shops as Kestrel, the stalwart of the Evensford and Midland stud. It would be no surprise, considering the Midland's strong Irish connections.

How long do we have to wait? Me face is going blue here, holding me breath... &:

GarryH

Registered
30 Oct 2009
Crowborough East Sussex
Best answers
:impatient:

Lenny the lockpicker will have to be called :eek:nphone:

There are a lot of people ready to have a peek!

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I am hanging on by my finger nails.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Thread drift on.
Well it is a seasonal, true, story and related to locked loco sheds.
During the mid 1970s I visited the FR as a volunteer fireman once a month and also during several holiday periods. One year when Christmas Day fell on a Saturday the FR had decided to run a train on the Sunday (not Boxing Day as that was the Monday).
The weekend previous to this I was firing for the General Manager when he commented that he had noticed that I was rostered to fire for him on the Christmas Sunday. He informed me that there would be no one at the works on that day and asked me if that would present a problem with my lighting up the loco and performing my share of the preparation before his arrival.
I immediately understood what I was really being asked, but protocol prevented the GM (a gentleman and professional railwayman of the old school) actually saying "Neil, do you know how to break into the works and access all you need?"
I merely assured him that it would present no problem and sure enough the loco was ready with a good head of steam when he cycled across the cob to oil round.
Just in case you were wondering, it couldn't be done that way now as a good few years later the relatively insecure building in question blew down in a storm shortly before it was due to be demolished.
Thread drift off.

brianthesnail96

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Gloucesterestershire
Best answers
I've a sneaking suspicion... However, whatever it turns out to be I'm sure when it emerges from the F&SM works it'll be a cracker :)

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
My "Man in the know" informs me that the latest aquisition by the F&St.M is to be moved into the paint shops shortly, that there are one or two minor changes to be made, it will be numbered into the fleet at No.5. The fitting shop staff have been told that all work on No.3 "Ramsey" (currently having an axle replaced) is to be suspended until the new loco is ready to roll. Oh, and that a brand new steel door is to be fitted to the rear of the workshops, to deter even the most determined snapper!
Rumour has it that a break from tradition will take place with the naming of the loco, instead of a Manx place name, it will carry a name that has connections with both the Irish and Manx folklore

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Ah strange goings on Mr Wood. Earlier today whilst loitering in the Sea Terminal I would swear I hear a Kilmarnock accent from an oily handed looking gentleman going back across, perhaps he was the comissioning fitter from the makers? If so the women folk of Kilmarnock can celebrate, having rope hauled the latest product from the factory through the streets to the docks their men folk will be gettiing paid in time to celebrate the New Year.

Will their be a piper to herald the unveiling of the new wee beasty when it emerges form your works Mr Wood?

Happy steamings,

John

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
GHWood said:
Rumour has it that a break from tradition will take place with the naming of the loco, instead of a Manx place name, it will carry a name that has connections with both the Irish and Manx folklore

Translated - In other words, he has to name it after his wife just to keep the peace !:rofl:

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
L.N.R. said:
And I'm hanging on to Ron's ankles (not a pretty sight)
Grant.

And I'm hanging on to Grant's ankles, gulp, we can't hold on much longer 8|

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
... and through the paintshop keyhole we have a... hehehehe :party:

[attachment deleted by admin]

DavidLJ said:
Through the keyhole we have a.......

Well if that is the loco through the keyhole, I suspect I wasn't very far wrong in my first post... it looks kinda familiar but I'm going bright blue here &:&:&:

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
Managed to capture these shots this morning, should ease the pressure on our colonial contingent, and save DLJ hiring a blow torch and disc cutter.
Foxdale & St. Marks Railway Number 5 "Finn MaCool" poses at Tosaby
599bfac648a74c4d815462b958b585fc.jpg

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
I have a few alterations in mind for the loco, have used a bit of black trimline to show how the bunker is to be lowered. The body shell needs nudging up about a quarter of an inch as there is an overhang at the rear I don't like
598faf694fd14562ad05ecc88934058e.jpg

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
Here she is in the original form, I will keep this topic running as the alterations take place
d5ce08aa49aa4022aee8c936de89a020.jpg

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
So two more pictures to finish off so far. A lovely looking engine, very much in the Irish style I think, I will be leafing through Tom Ferris Irish Narrow gauge books for inspiration over the next few weeks
bcc2a61ea1394dd988dcc4c0d23654a8.jpg

GHWood

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Isle Of Man
sites.google.com
Best answers
Just in case you were wondering about the name "Finn MaCool" was a legendary figure in Irish/Manx folklore !
52f7be73ff0e49e1b3eb2d3d467867c5.jpg