Beginner in R/C in Bachmann Locos

Emilys dad

Registered
2 Jun 2015
People's Republic of Liverpool
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

After a bit of research, I've come up with my plan to R/C my 3 strong loco fleet, consisting of an Annie, a Connie and a Baldwin 2-4-2. They run 4 Bachmann coaches or 4 or 5 wagon trains around a mostly flat with 1 incline contiunous run.

I'm planning on a Deltang Tx22, controlling an Rx65-22 in each loco, with the tender locos being fitted with 2 7.2V C NiCds, and the 2-4-2 being fitted with either C or AAs, deending on space available.

Well, that's what my research show to be the (possibly) best plan, does anyone have any comments at all?

I'll probably build the Tx myself, quite happy to be handy with a soldering iron and heat shrink...

Cheers

E.D.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello ED,

I assume you actually mean NiMH batteries, rather than NiCad's?
And that the two 7.2V packs will be in parallel?

A Rx65c is limited to a supply of 3-13V (3-8 NiMH cells). - I would recommend eight-cells (9.6V) for these loco's.

If you want to go to higher voltages, then there are other receiver options (with a separate ESC) you may wish to consider?

PhilP.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
While 9.6 volts might give an actual prototypical scale speed, I think you probably want more like 14 volts on tap.

"Emily's Dad".... it might be too slow for Emily

Greg

Which is why I went for 14.8V Lithium for my Connie and Shay, they are big heavy locos, I mostly use 12V but used 10.8V NiMHs for my smaller locos (LGB Stainz LGB tank engine etc).

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not quite sure that I understand the full issues of Deltang Voltage Maximum but Phill’s cautions and advice are to be listened to. Should you want more volts and or amps then Fosworks or Crest Revolution Train Engineer may be alternatives to think about. Both Deltang and the Crest can have more than one locomotive at a time running should that be something that you need. With Fosworks you would need to bind a locomotive each time you use it should you only have one transmitter, much easier with the new binding procedure.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You CAN use greater voltages with Deltang equipment, but just NOT with the Rx65c 'as is'..

There are 'enhanced' versions of the Rx65c, and Rx66a, which are good for higher supply voltages, or there are options which use a separate ESC.
All are compatible with the Deltang Selecta system.

PhilP.

Emilys dad

Registered
2 Jun 2015
People's Republic of Liverpool
Best answers
Country flag
Hello ED,

I assume you actually mean NiMH batteries, rather than NiCad's?
And that the two 7.2V packs will be in parallel?

A Rx65c is limited to a supply of 3-13V (3-8 NiMH cells). - I would recommend eight-cells (9.6V) for these loco's.

If you want to go to higher voltages, then there are other receiver options (with a separate ESC) you may wish to consider?

PhilP.

Yes the packs would be in parallel to give 14.4V.

Based on that I'll change the receiver to an Rx66-22 as I understand.

Cheers

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
parallel is same voltage 7.2, double the amp hours... both positives together, both negatives together, the voltage between the positives and negatives remains 7.2 volts

to get 14.4 you put the packs in series, the only connection between the packs is one pack's postive to the negative of the other pack. The unconnected terminals are 14.4 volts

probably just a terminology mistake

Greg