Beach, how?

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Just taken in hand the pool at the top opf the water feature. It is overgrown with weed, ivy, and that plant I asked about for quick ground cover, vinca. Well, vinca sure grows, mates, but it is difficult to control. So I have started digging all the rubble etc out of the pool. Now, one dotter gave me one of those lovely lighthouses, a few of you have them. I want it to sit on a little beach. How do I make a beach without it blowing or getting washed away? Any beachcombers out there?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Glengrant said:
Just taken in hand the pool at the top opf the water feature. It is overgrown with weed, ivy, and that plant I asked about for quick ground cover, vinca. Well, vinca sure grows, mates, but it is difficult to control. So I have started digging all the rubble etc out of the pool. Now, one dotter gave me one of those lovely lighthouses, a few of you have them. I want it to sit on a little beach. How do I make a beach without it blowing or getting washed away? Any beachcombers out there?
For a gravel beach, maybe you could get some fine gravel as used in a fish tank and somehow bind it together with a cement/PVA mix? I've also seen some 'gravel on a roll' pool liner at my local tropical aquarium shop. Might do the job?

Lighthouses tend to be on rocky outcrops, as they need a firm foundation, so gravel might look better than sand.

But if you do want a sandy beach, maybe use some roofing felt, spray painted a ochre, brown, or yellow colour?

MBiff has a beach on his layout. Might be worth a PM as to how he made his....

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Shingles?

Mick

Granitechops

Narrow Gauge 1/12th scale on 45mm</br>Quarrying &
24 Oct 2009
Sunny Devon Uk
Best answers
A gently sloping beach may take up a lot of your water area,

how about the lighthouse on the top of a cliff going straight down into the weater?

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I havn't tried this but if I was going to build a beach I'd use..................sand?..........put the beach in, then spray copious amounts of 30/70 % mixture of alphatic resin and water with a pinch of washing up liquid...............Same as I do my Ballast it doesn't wash away so I don't think the beach will either?

mbiff

cars trains planes
24 Oct 2009
hinckley
Best answers
:D well my beach !

you may need to have a open mind and big imagination - lol

but mine tiss a small fishing harbour mainly pebbles with a small beach and hut . oh and the tide is out :D

5d60df68250b421a913198ddd82f5dc7.jpg

the sand is loose and well dirty now - goin to top it up later and take another picciee :clap:

9879ed1e28c74fd997e986ecaa211744.jpg

b00955aa3d88414c9a63fa18f8c7554b.jpg

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Well chaps as always you're coming up with some good ideas. I think the best one tho is keep the tide out. I've got a lot to go on now, so let's try to sort this out over the next coupla days, eh? As long as this weather stays like this, anything is possible. Sorry, as usual, I am referring to Great Britain, those of you in Wollumbula and California have this weather all the time. Anyway, it's a luvverly evening, warm, calm, I'm going to run a coupla trains and eat, well, a Lidl Lobster. Well, it is sort of liddel, but there's enough for me. Wonder if I should open a bottle of collapso?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
You could try using a lighthouse on a pier. My pond shelves quite steeply so I made a gravel and shingle beach with added 'boulders' and then created a 'pier' which could also be used as a 'berthing' for visiting fishing craft.

view from 'land'

91e1ba7b8fa04c31b21a87fe6dccbaa1.jpg

view back across pond

10de62fb7d254dccbe3d44821aee3b6c.jpg

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Glengrant said:
Well chaps as always you're coming up with some good ideas. I think the best one tho is keep the tide out. I've got a lot to go on now, so let's try to sort this out over the next coupla days, eh? As long as this weather stays like this, anything is possible. Sorry, as usual, I am referring to Great Britain, those of you in Wollumbula and California have this weather all the time. Anyway, it's a luvverly evening, warm, calm, I'm going to run a coupla trains and eat, well, a Lidl Lobster. Well, it is sort of liddel, but there's enough for me. Wonder if I should open a bottle of collapso?

'tis OK for some - it is pleurting here.
More forecast during the night (which probably means it won't...)

largescale

Registered
30 Mar 2010
suffolk
Best answers
I made a sloping beach around 2/3rds of our pond by painting the liner with a thick coat of bitumin adhesive and pressing pea gravel into it.It has stayed in place for nigh on three years now with minimal erosion despite the water being in continuous motion caused by the waterfall.
Regards
David

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag