Battery Trams Forecast For Birmingham

van5

Talyllyn Railway. I of M, Old Land Rovers
24 Jan 2010
Great Barr, Birmingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Birmingham Mail is reporting that Centro are planning battery powered trams for
central Birmingham to avoid trolley poles etc. It suggests that the existing orders for trams can be amended.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
The Birmingham Mail is reporting that Centro are planning battery powered trams for
central Birmingham to avoid trolley poles etc. It suggests that the existing orders for trams can be amended.

How many AA batteries will the use in each tram set?:giggle:

Reactions: 1 user

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Should be able to do it with 12v - 2300 mAh :p:p:p:p:p:p

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag

How about conduit and ploughs? :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Miamigo259

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Presumably for future extensions beyond New Street, given that extension is due to open in the next few months and the existing tram fleet has only been around for a year or two.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not only are the Posts all in to New St, but Wires nearly completed too. Pity some Bright Spark did not come up with the idea befire the current New Trams were ordered. No doubt some Chief Exec Wonk on 200k plus a Year wanting to make a name for himself and just had an all expences paid Trip to see the Tramways of France thought it a good idea. Cynical me?
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
image.jpeg
Taken about 40 minutes ago.
JonD

Andrew B. Middleton

Registered
22 Jun 2016
Beechworth VIC 3747
Best answers
What is wrong with some people? After a few years no one will look up at the overhead wires, they will have blended into the urban scenery, and all the really ugly eyesores from the bureaucrats!

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I guess it is cheaper to maintain batteries in the depot than a distributed set of overhead wires, regardless of the perceived eyesore.

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
I guess it is cheaper to maintain batteries in the depot than a distributed set of overhead wires, regardless of the perceived eyesore.

Tell you one thing, batteries wear out a damned sight faster than overhead wiring.

Reactions: 2 users

Frank Gallagher

Well matured physically if not mentally
1 Jun 2016
Chatsworth
Best answers
I didn't realise it was April already

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Why use overhead wires. There used to be a system of underground wiring for trams.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
The trams will only run 'off the juice' on short sections of line. The rest of the system is still wired and batteries will be recharged thus.

Hopefully though, it will be more successful than the Boris diesel-electric Routemaster bus. Apparently, a lot of these were running only on their diesel engines....

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Apparently, a lot of these were running only on their diesel engines....

Allegedly - I've been on plenty with the motor off and silent :nod::nod::nod:

I preferred them whenever I could use them in town, because when I got to the rear platform to get off, the whole atmosphere took me back to when I was a little boy - pure nostalgia :emo::emo:

Gavin Sowry

Garden Railroader and Raconteur
27 Oct 2009
Hutt Valley, NZ
Best answers
Country flag
Why use overhead wires. There used to be a system of underground wiring for trams.

London, no less. Even then, they switched over to trolley wire once clear of the city, NIMBYs who didn't want overhead spoiling their view of the smog.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
London, no less. Even then, they switched over to trolley wire once clear of the city, NIMBYs who didn't want overhead spoiling their view of the smog.
Think we need to remember that one of the major objections toTram Systems has been the effect of Overhead Wiring not only in the Street but the effect of them on the views of very old buildings. It is also somewhat problematical to string Overhead on old buildings that will be in the route of the next bit of Brums Trams.

Re the possibility of ground contact systems there are some in other EU Countries that come live only when the Tram is over the Zone. Probably as much to put in as Battery or Overhead but does give the required effect re aethetics.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Modern technology might make 'stud pickup' work..??

Didn't older technologies kill horses, and the odd 'street-urchin'??

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

Quite likely as they were always on as I believe. However the London Skate System was another option but suffered a little due to crud getting into the slots. But it did last till the end of Trams and a bit of Track can be seen at the north end of the Holborn Subway Exit just north of Holborn Kingsway Tube. Best viewed from the top of a Borismaster running between Euston and Waterloo.
JonD

philkelly

France, railcars, DCC
24 Oct 2009
Islington, London & Vienne, France
Best answers
Country flag

Wireless trams common abroad. Bordeaux and other French systems use Alstom's system: on street power rails flush with the street surface and live only when a tram is over them.