battery powered stainz

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
could someone post a clear guide on how to convert a stainz to RC battery power? perferably with pictures and a list of required components

I need a good reliable battery loco for less than perfect weather and the old stainz fits the bill

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Pauly said:
could someone post a clear guide on how to convert a stainz to RC battery power? perferably with pictures and a list of required components

I need a good reliable battery loco for less than perfect weather and the old stainz fits the bill

Do you already have the Stainz you want to convert, or will you be looking to buy one specifically for the project? If you've already got one, what type of gearbox has it got - old clamshell, early sandwich type or modern "D" marked sandwich?

Jon.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Chuffed2bits.com do all the parts you need maybe worth dropping him a line, hasten to add I'm just a happy customer

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
I havent got the stainz yet, Ill wont buy it until Im sure I can do the conversion

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Where do you propose to keep the battery? The conversion is really very simple. Especially if you use a trailing car to house the battery. Simply remove the pick up skates and the carbon wheel wiper brushes. Then simply plug the battery leads into the lighting socket at the rear of the loco. Wether you decide to use R/C or a simple critter control, the conversion works the same way for each. Have you seen http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
Ill be putting the battery in a trailing van

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
In that case as I say you can get everything from cfuffed2bits. He offers a pre wired speed controller, the rc set and a battery pack.... It's fairly simple feel free to pm me for help.

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
thanks Ill look into that
So I just need an RC set and battery pack

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
I found this RC unit left over from an old steam project, will this do for theRC unit or will I need some other electronic gadetry?

006-8.jpg

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think you'll need a speed controller to replace the servo (unless you want to make some servo-operated lash-up of your own, which isn't hard if you just want forward-stop-reverse), but the rest of the gear should be OK....

Jon.

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yep will need a speed controller and a battery pack- maybe a charger too. The traction battery will power the reciver. Will also need a charging socket and on off switch.

Casey's mate

Registered
25 Oct 2009
CFR, Rothley Station
Best answers
When we converted all our Bachmann Thomas range to battery, each loco got the following...
1 x Saturn 2.4Ghz transmitter and receiver
1 x Mtronics speed controller (ESC)
8 x NiMH AA batteries with 4 long battery holders
2 x DPDT miniature toggle switches.
1 x 2.1 DC chassis socket

You can get all of this from Chuffed2Bits, also one of Mike's Smart chargers with mains lead would be a good buy!

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
OK got myself a stainz, modern, black with straight chimney.

Where can I get a plug suitable for the socket in the back of the cab and will I have directional as well as speed control with the methods suggested?

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
and does anyone have pics showing these wiring arrangments, trying to understand electronics through nothing but text based communication is really difficult and its so much simpler to use pictures as a guide

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Pauly said:
and does anyone have pics showing these wiring arrangments, trying to understand electronics through nothing but text based communication is really difficult and its so much simpler to use pictures as a guide

I believe that you have the square socket on the rear of your Stainz. In that case you will need the Male counterpart. The part number escapes me at the moment.

As for a wiring diagram, different manufacturers may have varying methods of wiring. However, here is the instruction manual with wiring diagram for Gscalegraphics Railboos Plus.
http://1stclass.mylargescale.com/DelTapparo/24ghz_railboss_plus_manual_a.pdf

MRail

16mm etc - Live steam, battery & trams
26 Oct 2009
Merseyside, U.K.
youtube.com.user.MadogMersey
Best answers
Country flag
My Stainz runs on 32mm with a battery tender.
This diagram is from Brain Jones. The general layout is common to many makers' systems.
036645827528400799227543f455230f.jpg

I prefer a tender to a trail van. The loco can run in reverse without looking odd.
b33fed95a63d4354b2fc417a4aace9e3.jpg

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Pauly said:
OK got myself a stainz, modern, black with straight chimney.

Where can I get a plug suitable for the socket in the back of the cab and will I have directional as well as speed control with the methods suggested?

Just buy an LGB 68333 lighting set and you'll have two plugs/cables for your purpose.

May I suggest that you strongly consider a Cliff Barker system for your Stainz, together with a Lithium-Ion battery. Far more elegant than the clunky kit used by aero/car r/c systems and utterly reliable. You will not only have full directional & speed control, but also hands-off driving and a beautifully elegant "halt & resume" feature. You'll need mini transmitter set B24 from Cliff's list. Cliff Barker is at: http://www.cliffbarker.talktalk.net/speedcontroller.html and a full description of the system including wiring diagram is here: http://www.cliffbarker.talktalk.net/instructions/Keyfob_Controller_Instructions.web.doc

Li-ion batteries are vastly superior to NiMH in terms of run time and space required. Readily obtainable on eBay (look for suppliers eachdesk & keyzone).

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I ditto Whatlep's post, Cliff's is a great system, I have just put one in a Little Critter inc batteries

Pauly

Registered
26 Oct 2009
The Midlands
Best answers
Got my stainz, Ill stick with the current system thanks, I really cant afford to change my approach at this stage... just dont have the cash
002-31.jpg