dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Last year I missed a Battery Converted 2095 on Ebay. So I decided to do one myself. I purchased an oldish Red 2095N off Ebay at a satisfactory price. It was one of the beasts with 3 wires from the motor but that is no issue. I have used the following to get it sorted:-
Aristocraft Train Engineer Revolutionb CREST 2.4 GHz.
Brian Jones FX-4U Class 37 Sound Card.
Peter Spoerer 14.4 2.1 Ah Battery with 12 NiMH cells.
An old small relay that I had kicking about plus wire, charging socket switch etc.

1st test Run sans Body here:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JyQ...nd my other Aristo Battery Conversion. JonD

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
I love the sound. How is the sound card wired in - between the speed controller and the motor? I've done lots of r/c conversions but never used sound or the Aristo system. Is the horn controlled from a separate channel?

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Brian Jones FX-4U is a properly sampled sound, as in the Masssoth and LGB units. Hence the quality of sound. The Controlled Power comes from the Aristo Unit to the Motor with a link direct to the FX-4U. On the FX-4U I had to wire in a Relay by using the Smoke Supply Board from the Aristo unit to get the Horn working.The horn works from the standard set up by pressing the No 6 button on the Aristo Unit. The Aristo units are very nice, much better than a full RC units as used for cars, planes and boats. It is around the size of a Massoth or LGB Digital device.

The normal Horn supply from the Aristo UNIT will not work and can trash the FX-4U.

However if you use a Spoerer Sound system you can use the normal Aristo Horn wires.

JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
The nice thing about the 2095s is that there is plenty of room inside to do just about whatever you want to.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That is true Madman, but it is surprising how a battery Conversion 'Mops' up the available space. I still had to think very carefully where everything was going to go. I have scratch built a West Clare Walker Diesel Locomotive in the past and wish to do the same as I have done to the 2095. However it is going to be very tricky to fit everything in. I know cos I have already made it battery operated but with a Finger Operated Speed Controller and it was all 'Shoehorn' stuff.
JonD

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I finally managed to get some time to finish off the conversion. That is get the thing back together, weather the chassis and put on the lettering. I put the body on the scanner to get copies of the 2 Works/Data Plates and did my own numbering as for my fabled LouLou Bahn (LLB). The story is that the 2095 was bought from the Austrians, converted to Metre Gauge for the LLB. The conversion would have included Track Brakes for use over the rack as the Austrians did to get rid of Steam on the Iron Mountain (Vordenburg). So here are a couple of You Tube clips showing her in action on the Dunny Reichesbahn. She will take her slot in the Operating Roster at the Ruschbahn next weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuW...utube.com/watch?v=DddczshJxQU&feature=related < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...QU&feature=related

JonD

whizzo

Hi all , i am interested in L.G.B electric running
24 Oct 2009
Norfolk east anglia
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Jon , wow i like what you have done to the loco - and sprayed blue --- was it hard to get the glass out ??/ regards Dave

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
whizzo said:
Hi Jon , wow i like what you have done to the loco - and sprayed blue --- was it hard to get the glass out ??/ regards Dave
Dave,
The glue on the sides was pretty old so no problem. The front is held in by the Cab bits so again no problems there either. She has been running today in Cambs at a line that is now secret and I have to say that the Aristo kit still never fails to amaze me. Slow Creep running is superb and I have set the max speed on the hand Unit to be 50 which equates to around 40kph. Or so the Model Trainspeed App on my iPhone tells me.
JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
I finally managed to get some time to finish off the conversion. That is get the thing back together, weather the chassis and put on the lettering. I put the body on the scanner to get copies of the 2 Works/Data Plates and did my own numbering as for my fabled LouLou Bahn (LLB). The story is that the 2095 was bought from the Austrians, converted to Metre Gauge for the LLB. The conversion would have included Track Brakes for use over the rack as the Austrians did to get rid of Steam on the Iron Mountain (Vordenburg). So here are a couple of You Tube clips showing her in action on the Dunny Reichesbahn. She will take her slot in the Operating Roster at the Ruschbahn next weekend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuW4v8NiYw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DddczshJxQU&feature=related < Link To http://www.youtube.com/wa...QU&feature=related

JonD

Jon,

I have seen some of your videos on Youtube. Why have you blocked out the sides of the screen?

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, sounds nice....

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
madman sorry to take so long to reply to your query, it is quite possible that I did not catch all the 'new' posts before I surfed somewhere else.

The answer is (I think) quite simple, many of the vids that I now do are from the iPhone which I use in normal mode IE the top is the top when recording. I think that is must be this that is blocking out the sides. Any iPhone experts out there care to comment on this please?

JonD

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
It's because you are holding the phone upright (i.e. portrait format). If you rotate the phone 90 degrees you will get the landscape shot that is YouTubes default format.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
vasim said:
It's because you are holding the phone upright (i.e. portrait format). If you rotate the phone 90 degrees you will get the landscape shot that is YouTubes default format. 

Yup that is what I am doing, must remember to rotate it next time. Thanks,
JonD